1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless networking problems...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by flyskimma, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyskimma

flyskimma Thread Starter

i'm having serious trouble setting up a wireless network in my house.
    my sister and i both have laptops that we would like to use with wireless internet.

the computer (desktop) i'm on has a wireless card in it. i keep trying to set up a network through the network connection wizard, but it never works. i tried doing it manually, i tried doing it with the USB drive, nothing.

what could i possibly be doing wrong? i know for sure that my wireless network card in my laptop is compatible with the card in this one, but i'm not sure about my sisters.

any help?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What kind of router do you have?

3. flyskimma

flyskimma Thread Starter

my sisters boyfriend bought the thing, i believe it's made by airlink?
    and it goes in the pci slots, and for some reason i'm thinking that's the wrong thing.

i love being a networking n00b.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have a wireless router or are you trying to set up an ad-hoc network just between/among computers? If the latter, how do you intend to get wireless internet?

5. ~Candy~

A router doesn't connect to a PCI slot. I think you need to explain the whole setup you have, and tell us how you currently connect to the internet.

6. michael_jii

michael_jii

are you just triying to set up like this:

*internet*-*pc 1*-*wireless card1*-*wireless card 2*- pc 2*

if so, you need to use the software that came with the card to set up an AD HOC network, or if not, please explain in more detail :p

7. flyskimma

flyskimma Thread Starter

internet - pc1, through a regular ethernet slot(dont know if thats the right word), which also has a wireless card in it, and i'm trying to make pc2(laptop with wireless card) connect to the card from pc1.

this seems wrong.

8. ~Candy~

Do you have a cable modem? Where is the ethernet slot from pc1 attached? Do you have a wireless router? Is the internet working at the moment on ANY computer?

9. ~Candy~

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To set up an ad-hoc wireless network between the two (or among several) machines:

1. Decide on a SSID (name of network) and a channel to use (if in the USA usually 1, 6 or 11).

On each computer:

2. Using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration or the wireless adaptor's utility, define an ad-hoc network with your chosen SSID and channel, and click 'Initiate' or 'Connect.'

3. After you've done step 2 on the 2nd machine, it will take them up to a minute to "acquire a network address." Then, to check that you have a network, go into a Command window and type (if Win 2k Pro or Win XP)
    ipconfig /all
    or type (Win ME or earlier)
    winipcfg

Either way you can determine the computers IP address, which will be 169.254.x.y

Then type
    ping otherIPaddr
    where 'otherIPaddr' is the IP address of the other computer.

If you get responses back, you have a network! If all packets lost, ya got problems.

4. Report to us your progress and what OS on each machine. If you have the wireless network working, we can proceed to file and printer and internet sharing.

11. flyskimma

flyskimma Thread Starter

well, that's not possible without a router, is it?
    because i'm pretty sure the card in this computer is just a wireless network card, used for picking up a network. it has no ethernet slot or anything, its just a card in the pci slots of the motherboard, and i have the ethernet cable plugged into the motherboard. and yes, i have a cable modem.

and acacandy, no i don't have a router. i know what THAT is, and i'm assuming that the simple wireless network card is nowhere near the same thing.

12. ~Candy~

In order to use the wireless network cards for the internet, you need a wireless router. I'm assuming that the ethernet cable from the one computer goes into the cable modem direct, correct? And that machine can access the internet, but the other one can't.

As explained above, if you want to network between computers, that is one thing, but getting the second one on the internet, I'm not sure that is possible without a router.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "well, that's not possible without a router, is it?"

What is not possible without a router? I think that you said in post #7 that you wanted to connect two computers that each had a wireless adaptor. In post #10 I told you how to do that. Such a network is called "ad-hoc." It is impossible to set up an ad-hoc network with a router, because as soon as you introduce the router it becomes an infrastructure network.

And, by the way, I have set up such an ad-hoc wireless network with five different computers (although never used connected more than 3 at one time), so I know it works fine.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "As explained above, if you want to network between computers, that is one thing, but getting the second one on the internet, I'm not sure that is possible without a router."

Yes, AcaCandy, it is possible. Good ol' ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Problematic? Yes. Have I ever tried it? No. But others are living with it.

15. ~Candy~

Terry, see post #1....I think the end mission is to use wireless internet, although I could be mistaken.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/420731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice