1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless networks detected - no wireless networks found

Discussion in 'Networking' started by patt17787, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patt17787

patt17787 Thread Starter

I have recently had a problem with my computer showing no wireless networks. There are other computers that can log on without a problem (obviously, one which I am using).

It is well noteworthy to mention that a few days ago there was an accidental download that initiated. Trendmicro caught it and says the last virus/malware found is: TROJ_DROPPER from C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventlog.dll.

(I thought trendmicro caught it, and Prevx cleaned my system, but it may be contributing to the problem or has done damage)

Since then, at school, I have noticed my computer was connected to the internet (I could still surf the web) but would say that it was NOT connected. When I went home, my computer would say it detected a wireless network, however, when I clicked on it it would say "no wireless network detected"

I tried a few things including:

Here is my ipconfig report:

Type of computer:

(HP) Compaq Presario V5000

AMD Turion(tm) 64 mobile

1.58GHz, 896 MB RAM

Running: Trendmicro, Prevx

Thank you for your help in advance

P.S. I have included below a recent Hijackthis file in case it may prove useful.

Thanks again.

Hijackthis report:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Try to connect again.

3. patt17787

patt17787 Thread Starter

JohnWill,

Thank you for your help and so quickly too.

I had tried what you asked before with no luck.

I tried it again (reseting the WINSOCK & TCP/IP) but there was no luck this time either.

When I reboot a bubble pops up saying "wireless networks detected," but when I click on it there are no networks in the list to connect to.

4. JohnWill

Have you tried updating the wireless drivers to the latest version? How about disabling all firewalls?

5. patt17787

patt17787 Thread Starter

Yeah, I did try updating the drivers, and nothing.

Also, the connection says it's firewalled, which is usually not a problem, but it doesn't matter because when I disable the firewall it does nothing.

Also I tried disabling Prevx and Trendmicro in case they were involved in the problem with no luck.

6. patt17787

patt17787 Thread Starter

I just tried plugging the ethernet cord into my laptop in order to see if it could get a signal. There is no problem with the Ethernet so the problem might be a bad wireless card.

7. JohnWill

It could also be an encryption key mismatch or MAC filtering on the router.

8. patt17787

patt17787 Thread Starter

I'm not sure how to check that really.

Well, in the mean time I bought a USB wireless adapter and it is running smoothly. No problems. I would be interested to check those, but I would not be surprised to find it is a bad card.

I called the Geek Squad to ask about a replacement card and they told me that my computer make and model was known to have wireless problems. They also mentioned that it had motherboards problems too....

9. JohnWill

Well, if the add-on adapter is working, and you've loaded the latest drivers for your internal card, it may have indeed croaked. :)

Of course, not knowing anything about the make/model of the laptop or the wireless card, I have no way of knowing what it's reliability record might be. ;)

10. patt17787

patt17787 Thread Starter

Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, thank you for all of your help on this one. I'm just glad to have the internet back up and running with the USB wireless adapter.

Would it be appropriate to mark this thread "solved" ?

11. JohnWill

Sure, go for it. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice