1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless networks(Error Code 39)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mustache, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

Hello everyone, this is my first post so apologies in advance if I post it in the wrong section or accidentally break some sort of rule.

So this is my problem, the wireless networks on my laptop(Toshiba Sattelite A305-S6857) are not working. I guess I'll start from the beginning, my hard drive recently died, so I bought a new one, installed it in my laptop and used my system restore cd to restore the laptop to factory settings. Everything looked like it was going fine until it came to installing the drivers to my built in wifi. The drivers did not install correctly and I got a "digital signature not found" message. I used command prompt to disable the need for digital signatures using the "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON" command. I downloaded and reinstalled the drivers, but this did not fix my problem.

This is when I figured that my built in wifi was malfunctioning so I bought a usb wireless adapter(ASUS USB N-53), installed the drivers on the cd that came with it, but that didn't work either. Just to make sure I wasn't just extremly unlucky and received a defective device I tested it on another laptop. (Another laptop in the Toshiba A305 series running Vista) and it worked just fine, so the problem has to be with my laptop. I've looked at threads made by people who are having similar problems and tried some of the solutions posted in these threads like uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. System restoring the laptop(3 times same problem would come up again.)

By the way, I'm posting this on the same laptop using a wired connection and that works fine. I've taken the liberty of posting a few screen caps and specs below, not sure if it'll help much but I hope it helps.

My laptop has been good to me and It'd be a shame if I'd have to replace it, this is my last hope.

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4085 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 475438 MB, Free - 449944 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corp., Base Board Product Name
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the wireless link 4965AGN device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

4965AGN device:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11008086&REV_61
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11008086
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&CC_0280

Vendor ID = 8086

Device ID = 4229

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

I've did what you said and I got this message.

[​IMG]

I got a similar message when I first used my system restore cd and the problem first appeared.

I uninstalled and installed again a few times, but it kept failing to install and I would receive this message.

[​IMG]

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you have 64bit vista - is that the option you particularly wanted ?
    normally 32bit is installed

you have 4GB of memory and with 32bit only just over three will be available - but that was quite normal

I'm not an expert on digital signed devices - but from what I can see 64bit vista has a security issue and wants signed drivers - you will also need 64bit drivers
    http://www.vistax64.com/software/17...digitally-signed-driver-how-can-i-bypass.html

7. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

64bit Vista just came with the laptop. I didn't really have a preference for any option.

I've bypassed the digital signatures, before and tried installing the 64 bit drivers and it would still fail to install them correctly. I just did it again and it failed again.

It's a strange problem, since even when using a brand new network adapter it has the same problem. The drivers(from the cd that came with the device) don't install correctly.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i'm afraid i'm out of ideas now
    see if any one else replies here

9. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

Thanks for your help anyways.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glitches happen. Do the system restore again.

11. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

I've done the system restore 3 times and the problem persists.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assumed that you meant a set of two Recovery DVDs. Perhaps one, but my Vista Recovery took two DVDs. Is that what you mean, or something else?

If really Recovery (or restore) to factory defaults then there is something wrong with the DVD(s). Since that does a re-image there should be no need for any driver install (except to update to the latest).

13. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

Yes, that's what I mean. Maybe, you're right and there are something wrongwith the DVDs. I just bought them from Toshiba too.

I have another laptop that is pretty much the same model as the one I'm having a problem with. I think I have the system restore cd/dvds for that one lying around somewhere. I'm going to try restoring the pc with those maybe it'll work.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Call (or email or chat) Toshiba. They may have sent the wrong Recovery; and if it is the correct one they should be able to tell how to make this work.

15. Mustache

Mustache Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice