1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless no longer works.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JacobH, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JacobH

JacobH Thread Starter

Last week the wireless connection on my PC upstairs quit working. I have 2 PCs and 2 PS3s. One PC(my main one) and PS3 are downstairs in my "gaming room" with a wired connection to my router(Linksys WRT54GL). My other PC(connected with a linksys ethernet bridge in bedroom,used just for email really) and other PS3(in living room) had wireless connections.
    Everything was perfectly fine for years,then last week the PC in my bedroom no longer would connect. At first I thought that the bridge went out due to it's age and I bought a usb wireless adaptor. That did not solve the problem. After investigating further with my limited knowledge I saw that the IP address assigned wasn't valid for internet use(196.168.255.2 or something to that effect). I manually changed to IP to one that would be in range(192.168.1.112) and it did not help.
    The lights on the bridge seem correct(power,lan and wlan). I took the PC downstairs and it is able to connect with a wired connection. When I run ipconfig with a wired connection everything looks fine,but when I try with the bridge or adapter the IP is invalid. I tried to ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew but I get an error when trying to renew. I even ran a program called "Winsockxpfix" and it did not solve the problem either. I disabled the firewall and it did not solve the issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Suggest you reset the router to factory default settings and try to connect. Then reconfigure the router and try to connect again.

Remember that you can make this easy on yourself by doing a backup of the router's settings before the reset and then restore the settings later.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, for many routers, restoring saved settings may bring back the very issue that you're resetting for in the first place. :)

4. JacobH

JacobH Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I can't believe it was something so simple,I didn't think of that since I figured no changes were made to the settings it wasn't needed. I backed up the settings just incase it caused everything else to not connect. I doubt I'll ever restore them as the only thing I ever changed was the security settings and I just manually changed that back.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes routers just get a little ornery and you have to kick them in the pants, I mean reset to factory defaults. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice