Solved: Wireless not secure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iso

Hi

Someone set up my wireless connection but it says it's (open) unsecured. How do I make it secure?

Post some more details about your router. Make/model

Do you know who to access the router configuration and setup page?

There are several models under the name of Actiontec.

Can you access the router's setup page by entering 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 into your address bar and then enter? You should have a manual or a pdf file on the cd that tells you how to access the routers setup page. There may also be a "default" password to access, or one that the person who set it up to begin with may have used?????

iso

Hi It's actiontec model GT701WRU. I've put the numbers in the address bar, no luck. I've put in the CD's but there's nothing on help menu about accessing the set up page, it just wants to take you through the whole installation process again.

OK. It looks like the access address is 192.168.0.1

Here is a link to download the manual. http://www.actiontec.com/support/broadband/gt701-wg.html

It will take you step by step for all configuration setup. If the person that setup your wireless changed the default password from username 'admin' and password as blank, then you will have to contact that person. More than likely he/she didn't. I would recommend changing this to a username and password, and then write it down!

Once you get there you should have some options for the security. The best choice would be to use WPA and use a generated key and not a pass phrase. Once that is done, then you will need to enter that same key on the wireless computer to be able to connect to the network.

I will be calling it a night here soon...will check back in the morning to see where you are at.

iso

Thanks, will give it a try in the morning. Calling it a night also.

Look on the back and see if there is a reset button...it may just be a hole that you need to insert a paper clip into to reset it to factory defaults.

With the power on, push the switch, if it has one, till the lights flash or if no switch take a paper clip insert it into the hole and hold it in till they blink.

iso

(y) Thanks for all the help. Wireless network now secured. Will mark as solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online