1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless OK, but no ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by va_guy, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. va_guy

va_guy Thread Starter

My old Westell DSL modem died, and Verizon sent me an Actiontec model GT704WG. I have two desktops, both connected to the modem by ethernet cable, and a laptop, which uses the wireless capability of the modem. This worked fine with the old modem (until it died). I connected the cables to the new modem exactly as they were connected to the old modem. I'm now browsing happily on the laptop (i.e., wirelessly), but the desktops cannot connect to the Internet. Strangely, when I go to 192.168.1.1 on one of the desktops, I get the setup page for the old modem rather than for the new one, even though the old modem is now sitting in a box. The status of the lights on the modem is as follows:

power - green
    DSL - green
    Internet - green
    ethernet - not lit (all four of them)
    USB - not lit
    wireless - green

All computers are running Windows XP, SP-2.

How could wireless be working, but not ethernet? Usually it's the other way around!

Do I, perhaps, have to connect the modem to one of the desktops by USB cable? My understanding is that it's not necessary. If it is, do I need a driver from Verizon? They did not send a CD with the new modem. Is the driver available on the Internet somewhere?

Thank you!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I take that to mean the ethernet ports are bad (have you tried them all?) or the cables are bad.

This may be the correct user manual: http://business.verizon.net/Help/dsl/Default.aspx?case=c13947

Try the USB port unless your computers are:

"Note: USB LAN port is not supported with Microsoft Windows
    NT 4.0, Windows Vista 64-bit, or Mac OS."

That unit is a modem/router combo. The USB port is not to the modem part; it is a special LAN port, so no driver or special software should be needed.

3. va_guy

va_guy Thread Starter

I'm the original poster of this query. As it turns out, the same electrical storm that knocked out the old modem also knocked out the NIC in both desktops. I replaced one of the NICs with an old spare card, and that desktop is now surfing the Internet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for posting back. I actually had to restrain myself from saying "or bad NICs" because it would be highly unusual for both to fail at the same time and at the same time as a modem (or modem/router) "died." Knowing the type of death changes the odds considerably!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice