1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless painfully slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mully4235, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

In one bedroom we have a just over a year old dell desktop computer with Vista. Has a modem going to it. I have put in a Netgear wireless g router to use in the other bedroom with my much older (3-4 years?) dell laptop with XP. At my mom's house the laptop works pretty well with her wireless. It's older and only has 1 GB ram, but I can get online with reasonable speeds. However, in this house it's horrible! It started off ok when I first set it up, not really fast, but tolerable, but then something went crazy with the modem and we had to exchange it and a second modem as well. We're on a third modem which looks completely different from the other 2 modems, but internet works great on the desktop now. Very fast.
    The lptop is horrible though. It's actually worse than dial up. It take forever to load a page and sometimes just doesn't. That's with internet explorer 8. When I tried Firefox it was even worse, completely unusable.
    I use the laptop about 20 feet away from the desktop and router. Is there a way to make it go faster at this house??
    Also, when it connects, the signal shows all green for every bar. But then after a while it will drop the connection and try to connect to the other wireless signals in the area that only have 0 or 1 bars.

2. AshleeD

AshleeD

Have you tried plugging the laptop into the modem? If it's old i'm curious about your laptops health. My laptop connection is generally fast, but can slow to a crawl if I strain it too much.

If the bars are low on your neighbours connections maybe there's something in your house. Anything to do with sound waves, microwaves, radio waves, electromagnetic waves, etc. Do you play a stereo in you bedroom for eg?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

4. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

Hopefully I did this right. I've tried plugging in the laptop to the modem, but can't get it to work. I've unplugged the cordless phone, we do have a tv. I've taken the security off the router and even tried changing the channel.

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That other network shouldn't be interfering, but suggest you change to channel 1 or 11 to make sure.

A 2.4 GHz cordless phone can do harm to a wireless network. Unplug the base station and remove the battery from hand sets to test, as both send signals. If a cordless phone is causing trouble sometimes setting the router to channel 1 or to 11 will help.

6. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

I tried channel 1 and it was the same, but then tried channel 11 and it's much better. Not as fast as it usually is, but I can handle this :) Thank you!!!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice