1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless printing problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bargee62, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bargee62

bargee62 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    going crazy with this and floundering. I have a Samsung R65 laptop which connects wirelessly with a TP-Link router (TL-WR941ND) with no problems.
    I also have a Canon MG5350 wireless printer. Now, the printer (after entering the correct WEP key) says it is connected to the router.
    But nothing I have tried will let me print wirelessly. I just get 'Printer is offline' message.
    I have removed the check in 'work offline', I have tried 'add a printer' and selected the printer from the list but nothing works.
    After 3 hrs of trying I'm ready to chuck the whole lot in the canal but hopefully some bright spark will see what I'm obviously missing!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2558 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 20200 MB;
    Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., SR65S
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    on the PC thats connected to the wireless network and working can we see an ipconfig /all
    and on the printer - you should be able to access the network settings it has picked up

the following should be listed - can you post those

IP address
    Default gateway
    Sunbet Mast
    DNS

did you choose Networked at all ?

can you also run the following application
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find all devices on the network
    Find all devices on the network

Free Network Scanner Software
    It will detect all network devices in your network with it's IP and MAC Addresses.
    http://www.radmin.com/products/ipscanner/

Show all the devices on a network

---------------------------

Free utility to shows all devices on your network

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

can we see a screen shot of the results

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
    Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

3. bargee62

bargee62 Thread Starter

Many many thanks for prompt reply, you might have saved a lot of kit from a watery grave.
    1) System is XP pro
    2) Yes I tried adding a networked printer and selected the one on the list with Canon mentioned. However I might possibly have inserted the wrong name at some previous attempt if that is critical.
    screen shot is below.

4. bargee62

bargee62 Thread Starter

screen shot attached I hope

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What list? From your description and from the IP scanner output shown there is only one printer on your network.

Does Canon have a setup program to run or only instructions on how to connect to the networked printer? Are you running that setup or following the instructions?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the canon is on the network and has an Ip address assigned 192.168.0.103- so thats good news it is correctly on the network

if you add the printer again (it will just make a copy in printers) at what point does it go wrong ?

canon software
    http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons....aspx?type=faq&category=Software Installation
    FAQ: How to perform the wireless LAN setup so that other computers can share the same printer (Windows)
    http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons....aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-853970&page=1&type=faq

7. bargee62

bargee62 Thread Starter

OK, I went to control panel>printers>add a printer>network printer>browse for a printer> then chose \\Barge-10DB1DBBB\CanonMG53 Canon MG5300series printer> use as default? (selected yes). The wizard then gives the 'completed installation' message though I notice that 'location' is blank.
    If I now try to print I just get 'printer is offline' message.
    I 'joined' the printer to the router by using it's own built in menu to enter the WEP key. The printer reported that it had successfully wirelessly networked with the router.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you typed in the address
    if you browse available printers - what are presented
    perhaps a screen shot
    i'm not sure , why you have two IP address on the printer now

9. bargee62

bargee62 Thread Starter

If I go to control panel>printers there is just one entry. It's for Canon MG5300 series printer with a greyed out tick. There is a 0 on the second line, then 'offline' on the 3rd line.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try running the software - as shown in the FAQ link I posted and see if you can re-install

11. bargee62

bargee62 Thread Starter

Brilliant,guys. Finally it works! I feel a right stupid old bu****r as it's the old RTFM solution though in my defense I thought that having got the printer recognised by the router then that would be that. Anyway, thanks again. Brilliant site though hope I won't need it again too soon.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice