1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Range Extender or Access Point with Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by legarots, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legarots

legarots Thread Starter

I live in an association that provides WiFi (802.11b/g/n). It works fine upstairs, but my PS3 is in the basement, and doesn't get a good enough connection to stream netflix.

So I see two options, and I'm wondering which is better. It seems both would cost under $80.

Option 1:
    Get a Wireless Range Extender that supports 802.11b/g/n, and put in upstairs.

Option 2:
    Get a Wireless Access point and plug it into a wireless router (which I already have one lying around).

Which option is the best, and would give the best connection speed to my PS3 in the basement?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

3. warrior19

warrior19

4. legarots

legarots Thread Starter

I think redoing my entire home network with powerline is overkill.

JohnWill, I understand that you are saying a range extender will be the easier solution?

5. legarots

legarots Thread Starter

Option 4:
    Actually I found that I can convert my existing router into a repeater, thanks to firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com

I did this and I get a good connection in my basement now.

6. warrior19

warrior19

2 powerline adapters(1 each end) is not the whole network but good luck with firmware upgrade.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice