1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless router dropping connection intermittently.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gerrigen, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

Ok about ten days my internet began acting very strangely, every ten minutes or so anything hooked up to my wireless network would be disconected from the internet, then a minute or two later it would be back up and running.

Configuration:
    DSL connection goes from wall to a westell modem. From the modem it goes directly into my Belkin G plus MIMO wireless router via ethernet cord, then the internet goes from my router to my one wired computer.

Westell modem: all lights are green. The ethernet light and the activity light blink every once in a while. But the DSL and Internet stay solid green.

Belkin Router: Wireless light blinks 1-2 times a second, wired computer light blinks 1-2 times a second, Phone light occasionally blinks 3-4 plus a second, and the Internet light blinks constantly at a very high speed. It is the internet light that is bothering me.

It seems as though the problem is within the router or possibly the ethernet cords. Also, the router is still emmiting wireless signall even when it stops giving out internet signal. In other words during the time I get kicked off my devices can still "see" the router.

I have had this router for two to three years and eveything has always worked fine, I have checked all the settings and nothing has been changed. So it's not my wireless phones, or an unplugged cable, or my settings not matching my ISP's settings.

There was a bigstorm that came through and basically killed our phone lines about 2 weeks ago, all you could hear over the line was static. I originally thought that may be the cause of my internet troubles, but they sent out a technician who fixxed the lines. While he was here he tested our DSL and said everything was working fine. When I called AT&T they told me that they believed the problem was on my end not theirs.

Do I just need to get a new router/ethernet cords?

EDIT: Also, the computer wired directly into the router also disconects from the internet at the same time other devices are disconnected, the wired computer still gets it's internet from the router however.

2. srhoades

srhoades

When the wireless devices lose connection check the wired computer, does it lose connection as well?

3. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

Yes it does, sorry I completly forgot to put that in. I have now editted that into the original post.

It does lose conection, but it also gets its internet connection through the router.

4. laker_fan

laker_fan

have you tried a firmware update on your router?

5. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

The router settings have an option to search for a firmware option, when I use that option it says that there is no new firmware, but then again I have never upgraded its firmware.

6. laker_fan

laker_fan

have you tried to see if their is an update for your wireless card

7. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

I don't know what that is. I have no experience with that.

8. laker_fan

laker_fan

go into device manager and under network adapters and look for your wireless card right click properites and then click the driver tab and you should be able to update your driver if its needed. you will probably have to be logged into a admin acct. to do a driver update

9. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

Ah I understand. But what are the odds that my laptop and ps3 and desktop all need an upgrade?

10. laker_fan

laker_fan

Windows Vista

1. Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image

[​IMG]
      , and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage network connections.
    3. Right-click the network that you want to disable 802.1X authentication for, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Security tab, and then, in the Security Type list, click No authentication (Open). Click OK.

11. srhoades

srhoades

The problem is most definitely not a driver issue since it affects both wired and wireless devices. Go to Belkin's website and see if they have a newer firmware for your router.

12. laker_fan

laker_fan

try turning off the power to your router and stick a paper clip in the reset button and hold it down for 10 sec and then turn your power back onto your router and see if the factory reset works. we might have gone a little too far without trying that in the beginning

13. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

Should I try the firmware before the reset? So as to avoid the whole setting it up again. Also how can I tell which firmware version I'm running? I can't seem to find the tab..

14. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

You both need to make your own threads.

15. Gerrigen

Gerrigen Thread Starter

Well actually every situation is different, so you need to. Of course well just have to see what a moderator says.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice