1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Router Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rynx, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rynx

Rynx Thread Starter

Hi all, I recently got the ZyXEL P-660HW-D3, and I managed to set it up just fine. It's connected to two computers via Ethernet and there are no problems with the internet. However, when I try to connect wirelessly with a laptop, the internet on both computers go. I am still able to login to MSN or talk on mIRC, but none of the browsers work. I've tried IE, FF and Opera. The internet on the laptop works fine though.

Anyone know what's wrong?
    I'm running WindowsXP on all computers.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show the following for
    a. a wired PC with internet access;
    b. the wireless PC;
    c. a wired PC after browsers stop working.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

ping 66.94.234.13

ping yahoo.com

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Rynx

Rynx Thread Starter

Wired PC with internet

Wireless Laptop with internet

Wired PC with browsers down

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let me congratulate you on your data display. It's certainly a pleasure to attempt to help somebody who can communicate so clearly.

I can see nothing unusual about the ipconfigs (except that the laptop talks about Freitag and Montag instead of Friday and Monday). Your ping results show very definitely that the problem is confined to DNS.

Sometimes when a router does the perfectly normal thing of supplying its own address as the DNS server the computer and router do not play together nicely. While I have no idea why it works fine until you add another PC to the network, using OpenDNS on your computers will probably get around the problem: http://www.opendns.com/

Click on the "Get Started" button and follow the instructions for "Computer." Try it on one wired PC, and if it works then use it on the other one as well.

5. Rynx

Rynx Thread Starter

Heh, thanks for the compliment. I actually think I got it. I went into the router settings and enabled a dynamic DNS and everything appears to be working fine. Thanks a lot for the help though, it's really appreciated.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "went into the router settings and enabled a dynamic DNS"

What did you have there?

Glad you got it working. Please mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice