Solved: Wireless Router Stops Responding Every few minutes !HELP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redh0tchilip3ppr

Right so here's the deal. I'm not to experienced with networking and such and wondered if anybody here could help me. I own a Belkin Wireless G Plus Router (F5D7231-4) and run Win XP SP2.

Every ten minutes or so, I cannot connect to any website (Firefox times out), all downloads that may be running stop and my instant messenger stops responding. When I go to the status of my wireless connection, bytes are sent but none are recieved. After I sit and wait a minute or two things will start working again but the same problem happens over and over. I just don't understand why this is happening. My signal strength is fine so I shouldn't have this problem but I do. I also know that my Zone Alarm firewall isn't causing the problem because when I turn it off the problem still happens.

I've looked at the Router's Interface page and can't see anything wrong although as I've already said my knowledge of networking isn't exactly top notch. It's been happening ever since I got the router and is really starting to irritate me.

I would be so thankful if anybody could help me solve this problem or point me in the right direction.

Regards, redh0tchilip3ppr

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You didn't specify anything about the wireless hardware. If you are using the wireless adapter's client to manage the connection, it may be conflicting with WZC, the Windows client. In that case, you need to disable WZC in Windows Services.

redh0tchilip3ppr

JohnWill said:
You didn't specify anything about the wireless hardware. If you are using the wireless adapter's client to manage the connection, it may be conflicting with WZC, the Windows client. In that case, you need to disable WZC in Windows Services.
I'm not using the wireless adapter's client, only using WZC.

I'm using a PRISM 802.11g Adapter if that helps.

TerryNet

Terry
If there are other computers connected to the router are they connected via ethernet or wireless and do they get the same disconnects?

Of course, 2.4Ghz cordless phones can cause disconnects.

redh0tchilip3ppr

TerryNet said:
If there are other computers connected to the router are they connected via ethernet or wireless and do they get the same disconnects?

Of course, 2.4Ghz cordless phones can cause disconnects.
No, the only computer connected is my laptop.

I don't own a cordless phone so that can't be the problem.

TerryNet

Terry
And if so, are they on your same (or close) channel?

"I'm not using the wireless adapter's client, ..."

Are you sure it's not running?

redh0tchilip3ppr

Problem Solved Guys.

I changed this setting from 'Any Available Network' to Access Point and I havn't had any more drops from the router.

Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect there's some other Ad-Hoc connection trying to connect to your computer. Make sure you have good encryption enabled. :)

TerryNet

Terry
Subtract one channel number from the other. If the (absolute) value is less than 5 they can interfere with each other; whether they do primarily depends on signal strength.

redh0tchilip3ppr

Well most of the other Wireless networks around have a channel number of 11 and mines 3 so 11-3 = 7

So this shouldn't be the problem. My signal strength is pretty strong too.

redh0tchilip3ppr

Well most of the other Wireless networks around have a channel number of 11 and mines 3 so 11-3 = 7

So this shouldn't be the problem. My signal strength is pretty strong too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online