1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Router to Wireless Router Connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Conipto, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Conipto

Conipto Thread Starter

Recently I purchased a new wireless N router, and have moved the older wireless G router downstairs, where I hope to be able bridge a connection between the two. Google results, ironically enough, have suggested Googling instructions on setting such a thing up.

Connected to this computer (which is upstairs) is the new one, a Belkin Wireless N model no. F5D8236-4 Version 1. Downstairs the the old Linksys Wireless G model no. WRT54GS Version 6. I have a friend who works a lot with networking, who is skeptical of the idea, but Googling it has returned hope that it is possible. The main dispute is how.

Here's the setup: This computer is wired to the Belkin router, which is wired into the modem and is also currently hosting the house's wireless network. The Linksys is downstairs wired only to my Xbox 360. My attempts at even trying to find where to configure these routers have proved pathetic, so I've been driven here.

Could this work, and will it work with these two routers? If so, how do I go about it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The first place to look is the Linksys router's user manual to see if "wireless bridge" or "AP client" mode is supported.

The second place to look, I guess, is to see if there is DD-WRT firmware for your router.

3. Conipto

Conipto Thread Starter

The Linksys Router is indeed supported with that DD-WRT (which, by the way, I would be interested to read an explanation on). However, I've no access to the user's manual for that router.

Edit: Then again, that site does have an about page. Silly me...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For the router's user manual click on the "User Guide" link on this page.

6. JohnWill

Or use the direct link above. :p

7. Conipto

Conipto Thread Starter

After searching that manual for either of those keywords, I've come up empty. But some reading in the Advanced Routing section led me to believe this could be possible, however, the manual only mentions B and G routers, nothing on N. Another problem is my inability to configure this router, as it is password protected from its previous owner. Perhaps there is a way I could configure the one N router to work with this other one?

8. JohnWill

If you simply hold the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on, it'll return to factory defaults, which will match the setup instructions in the manual. That's the very FIRST thing to do with any router with an unknown configuration.

9. Conipto

Conipto Thread Starter

In all irony, a friend of mine offered to trade the older router for his Microsoft 360 Net Adapter. The deal was done, and the problem has been solved. If I wasted your time here I am sorry, but I do thank you for what time you spent.

10. JohnWill

No problem, glad you came up with a solution. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice