1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless signal recognized, but unable to connect

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zackt98, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zackt98

zackt98 Thread Starter

I have a HP 2000 Notebook PC, Model # QE334UA, running Windows 7.The wireless signal is showing all bars in the bottom right corner, but I'munable to connect to anything wirelessly (e.g., any web browser, Outlook,Dropbox). When connecting via a LAN, though, I have no problem. Here are somedetails on what I've tried:

1.) This same problem occurs on every network I've tried, eventhough other computers work on those networks, so it's not a router/modemissue. Still, I've rebooted those and no avail.

2.) Rebooted the computer.

3.) Did a system restore.

4.) Checked IPV4 settings to make sure IP & DNS serveraddresses are set to be obtained automatically.

5.) Turned on & off the wireless button on the keyboard.

6.) Gone to Device Manager and hit update driver software for allnetwork adapters.

7.) Disabled & reenabled all network adapters.

I've been reading a lot of other forums - that's where I got theseideas from - and this seems a common problem, but I haven't been able to findan answer that works. I'm not overly technically savvy, so maybe I'm missingsomething, but any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, particularly since mywarranty just expired.

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

it's a very common problem, but has numerous causes. try opening a command prompt, and using the following commands: ipconfig /release ; ipconfig /renew ; ipconfig /flushdns ; ipconfig /registerdns ; netsh dump ; nbtstat -R ; netsh int ip reset reset.log ; netsh winsock reset .
    you may need to go to the start menu, programs, accessories, and right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator. hit enter after each command and reboot when you get done. it could be any one of these things that is preventing you from connecting, as well as any of the things you tried and more. i have a batch file with these that i run which comes in handy.

3. zackt98

zackt98 Thread Starter

Tried all those kanaitpro, but still no luck. Any other ideas?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from HP's web site.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify your network if it is not obvious.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. zackt98

zackt98 Thread Starter

Got it! Turns out my SonicWall VPN was causing the problem. Thanks!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for telling us what it was.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice