Solved: Wireless switch causes my laptop constantly to restart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Constance_Keeble

I have tried a search here, but not found a thread with the same problem as mine. That may well be my fault; I am relatively inexperienced so may be using the wrong search terms. My apologies if that is the case.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running XP with a built in wireless which can be switched on or off with a sliding button at the front. The laptop has not been used for a couple of weeks, and now I find that it will not start up properly as long as the wireless is switched on. If it is on, the laptop constantly restarts then crashes and restarts again, never getting started up properly. If I switch off the wireless, it will start perfectly normally. If I then switch the wireless on after a normal startup, it may take a few seconds or a few minutes, but it will then crash and go back to the restart-crash cycle. There is an error screen which comes up but it is too briefly displayed to read it or get a screenshot. I did a little research and tried a system restore which did not work. I also tried restarting without my wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up. When I did that and switched on the wireless, it stayed up long enough for me to connect to my network (the only time it was up long enough) then reverted to the restart/crash cycle again.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice, please.

Well, this could be anything from bad drivers or bad hardware to a power supply issue.

First, try to start your PC in safe mode with networking - Start up your PC and start tapping F8 untill you get to a selection menu. Does it crash in safe mode?

Unplug the laptop, take the battery out plug it back in (without the batery) and start it up. Any chrashing?:D

If at any point you log in successfully - go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and recovery settings. Uncheck "automatically restart" and apply. The next time it crashes you'll get the blue screen, write it down. EDIT: just re-read your post - you should first switch wireless off and do this.:)

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Also download the latest correct wireless adapter driver, uninstall the current driver (using Device Manager) and install the new one. If the driver is corrupted, that should take care of it.

Constance_Keeble

Success! I tried everything you both suggested, and all is now well, thanks. :) It was TerryNet's suggestion of un-installing and re-installing the driver for the Intel wireless adapter that worked. Having said that, trying all zabusant's suggestions taught me loads of stuff about how my laptop works, which is equally useful. I am very grateful to you both for helping out a new arrival; it's much appreciated. :)

Btw, once I'd disabled the automatic restart and could read the error message, I saw that it is already covered here:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/603177-xp-problem-bizarre-result.html

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
You're certainly welcome. Glad we could help. You can mark your thread 'Solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

Strange that system restore didn't solve the drivers issue, anyway, glad to hear it's well now. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online