1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless to wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alexus56, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexus56

alexus56 Thread Starter

I would like my wired computers to be able to receive an internet connection. Here is the problem. In one room I have 6 computers.
    1 file server, 1 dc,dhcp,dns server 1 application server, 3 desktops,
    one 8 port 3com gigabit switch and 1 laserjet networked printer.
    In another room I have my DSL modem hooked to trendnet 8011n wireless
    router. 1 web server and another computer both hard wired into the router.How can I get internet to the computers in the other room.
    Running cable through the wall is not an option as this is just a temporary setup used for edcuational purposes.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a wireless bridge to the other computers?

3. alexus56

alexus56 Thread Starter

That was my thought. What is the difference between a bridge and router. I thought wireless access point or router in the other room,
    then from there to switch. Would that work?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wireless bridge connects to a wireless network and "extends" the network to ethernet devices.

A router routes traffic between two networks, often "the internet" and a local network.

You need a wireless access point in the first room and a wireless bridge (also called AP client) in the second room. The wireless bridge can be an Access Point or wireless router capable of being configured that way,.

5. alexus56

alexus56 Thread Starter

So it would be wireless router Room 1 to wireless bridge Room 2 wired to switch room2 and switch wired to computers?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  7. alexus56

alexus56 Thread Starter

Than you very much

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice