Solved: wireless to wired

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alexus56

I would like my wired computers to be able to receive an internet connection. Here is the problem. In one room I have 6 computers.
1 file server, 1 dc,dhcp,dns server 1 application server, 3 desktops,
one 8 port 3com gigabit switch and 1 laserjet networked printer.
In another room I have my DSL modem hooked to trendnet 8011n wireless
router. 1 web server and another computer both hard wired into the router.How can I get internet to the computers in the other room.
Running cable through the wall is not an option as this is just a temporary setup used for edcuational purposes.

alexus56

That was my thought. What is the difference between a bridge and router. I thought wireless access point or router in the other room,
then from there to switch. Would that work?

TerryNet

Terry
A wireless bridge connects to a wireless network and "extends" the network to ethernet devices.

A router routes traffic between two networks, often "the internet" and a local network.

You need a wireless access point in the first room and a wireless bridge (also called AP client) in the second room. The wireless bridge can be an Access Point or wireless router capable of being configured that way,.

alexus56

So it would be wireless router Room 1 to wireless bridge Room 2 wired to switch room2 and switch wired to computers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online