1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless tray icon + Connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lord Nikon, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Thread Starter

ok, i've had a search through google and this forum, but can't find anyone with this problem

i connect to the internet wirelessly on my laptop, and every now and then my connection drops, just for less than a second, and my tray icon changes to a strange "i" icon, with the three curved lines either side of it instead of just on the right of a monitor icon. this is not causing a problem so much as a nuisance but i would like to stop it happening if anyone has any ideas about it, any help would be much appreciated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless adapter do you have, and do you have the latest driver for it?

What wireless utility do you use to manage the connection, and are you sure no other one is running?

3. Lord Nikon

the adapter is a pluscom wU-ZD1211B, i have the latest drivers available for it, i'm using the windows wireless zero config to control it but the client that came with it is sitting in the icon tray, i can right click on that to select either the zero config or to use the utility itself, if i use the utility i can connect to the router but not to the net, either the router is not giving me a dhcp lease or the program is not accepting it, either way if cannot obtain an ip address so i decided to just use the windows zero config for it, but the problem i explained above occurs

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You MUST disable the 3rd party client if you're running WZC, that is very likely the reason you are seeing the random disconnections!

5. Lord Nikon

this seems to have sorted the problem, thank you very much

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're quite welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice