1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless won't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cujo668, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

I reformatted my computer and I've struggled in the past with my linksys wireless g/b router. I must be missing some settings because I can't connect to my wireless network. It says its acquiring network address. I have it set to login to my isp (sbc yahoo dsl). I can connect using a patch cable. I am using Windows XP Home.

2. wacor

wacor Banned

i am guessing you did not download the driver for the wireless card?

3. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

i updated the driver, but that didn't help, it still sits on "acquiring network address", is there a way I can assign an ip address?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "is there a way I can assign an ip address?"

The easiest and most typical way is to enable the Dhcp server on the router. And make sure the address range is sufficiently large and that you are not using MAC Address filtering.

Also, make sure that you are attempting to connect to your network.

5. wacor

wacor Banned

Hi Terry

I thought you would appreciate my driver suggestion :D

If you remember a few days ago the "its the driver stupid" comment :D :D

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I remember, Bill! The stupid part is probably me--for making it sound too simple. The "acquiring network address" means that some driver was installed. But maybe not the latest or the one that was used previously. This may be something very simple that's very hard to figure out.

7. wacor

wacor Banned

Just having a little fun Terry

I knew you meant.

Networking can be very frustrating. Like lots of other stuff on computers when they dont work

8. sjam03

sjam03

:confused: Please help! My daughter moved into a house with Time Warner wireless. She has a PC running XP, and had a Linksys wireless adapter installed (and we have since reinstalled) and it tells her that it has connected with the router and that she has a strong signal. But she cannot access the internet. Windows error message tells her to renew the IP address, however we have followed the steps (as outlined in the MS Knowledgebase on renewing IP address) several times, and it just does not do anything- nothing happens for either ipconfig/release and renew and both. All the other computers in the house are able to connect just fine and get the "automatically detect IP address", but hers will not. They have re-booted the router, restarted PC's, spent quality time on the help line with Time Warner folks, etcÂ… Suggestions?

9. wacor

wacor Banned

Welcom Sjam03

I am sure somebody in networking will have some thoughts but you need to start your own thread. It gets too confusing to attempt to take care of more than one persons problem on a thread.

10. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

I am going to bring my laptop into work to see if it will connect to the wireless network here. Before I formatted it, it would connect to it, so I will see if the problem is with my router.

11. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

it won't connect to the wireless network at work, It says connected, but I can't browse, so I am guessing something is wrong with my wireless card, any suggestions?

**I had a specific IP address in there, when I took it out, I connected to my wireless network at work. This won't change anything with my router at home though cause I already tried it**

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "This won't change anything with my router at home though cause I already tried it**"

You tried what? After checking the things in post #4?

13. StevenofNine

StevenofNine

Have you tried uninstalling the wireless network card in the Laptop and rebooting.

I had issues connecting when I was fiddling around with setting up my WEP/WPA, and uninstalling and rebooting allowed the hardware/software to repair the damage I'd done by setting itself up.

Alternately, you could reinstall the software that allows use of that card.

14. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

well, after reseting my router, i typed in my ip address for my router in internet explorer, there I reset all my settings the way I wanted, tweaked things around, and it actually connected and I can surf the web now, this was one of the easiest fixes to my router problems, thanks for your help guys

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice