1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless won't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by matt.ledger, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.ledger

matt.ledger Thread Starter

I found out a neighbour was connecting to my wireless network so I used the configuration program to enable a WEP password but now my laptop can't connect at all, when I type in the password it tries to connect but never manages it and when I now try and use the configuration program it also won't connect, I took the laptop to a friends house and I was able to connect to his network and he brought his MacBook to my house and he was able to enter my password and connect fine, does anyone know what the problem is!? please help! thanks, matt

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

So you enabled WEP and now you cannot connect? Or do you get a limited or no connectivity error? I think you are most likly getting the later. First off what kind of access point or wireless router do you have?

3. matt.ledger

no i cannot connect at all, the list of available networks shows mine as full signal but it will not connect. I believe it is a linksys router of some description ... not entirly sure ... I am not at home at the moment so will have to get back to you on that.

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Well most likly you will have ethernet ports on the back of the router for wired computers to connect too. I am also asuming that your laptop has an ethernet port. Connect to your router VIA an ethernet cable. Logon to it by typing (this is if its a linksys) http://192.168.1.1 into the browser. you will be prompted for a user name and password, by default these are admin admin.. From here you can adjust your setting and make sure that the wireless works. You also might want to try restting the router and starting over again.. Or just tell your nieghbor to kick down some cash and let him use the connection :p

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Passwords often get translated differently by different devices. Disable encryption, connect your PC, enable WEP encryption again but this time use a hex key, then reconnect your PC also using the hex key.

Actually, if possible you should use WPA-PSK because it is more secure and, in my opinion, easier to get working than WEP.

6. matt.ledger

hey ... that sounds really useful except I checked and it is infact a US Robotics router ... is there a different address I should use to connect to this? thanks for your help

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you didn't mention that when you configured wep in the router that you configured your connection with the same code. both have to be the same, that's how you're somewhat protected.

when both are configured the same you shouldn't need a password unless you set it up that way.

8. matt.ledger

i don't understand!

9. jmwills

jmwills

Reset the router and froma WIRED connection setup the new encryption using WPA-PSK and a password of at least 12 charcters to include upper case, numbers and specials.

Decrease the scope for the DHCP for exactly how many machines you have on your LAN and no one else can get in unless one of yours is turned off.

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Matt:Re your addressing question.To find the ip address of your router,on way is:
    start/run/cmd
    type in
    ipconfig /all

The gateway addrress is the ip address of your router

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make that a 20 character WPA-PSK key. ;)

12. jackdw

jackdw

I agree there. And a password is easier to remember than a WEP key..

13. matt.ledger

thanks everyone! problem solved!

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

Matt:When you get a chance,please go to thread tools and mark this thread solved.It would also be helpful for future searches if you would include the solution to your reported problem

15. matt.ledger

er ... i'm pretty sure it's already marked as solved ... and yeh i decided all this encryption was causing too many problems so i just wired my laptop up to the router and turned off the encryption like that!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice