1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless won't stay connected on desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wenpeek, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

We just recently signed up with Time Warner Cable for internet access. The modem they gave us is also a wireless router. So we set up our wireless network like we should but for some reason my desktop computer won't stay connected to the new wireless network. We have a laptop downstairs that doesn't have any problem staying connected. I can connect to the neighbors wireless network and I have no problems staying connected. I can't figure out why my desktop won't stay connected to our network. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 767 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 26765 MB; D: Total - 36318 MB, Free - 11461 MB; G: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 278384 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation, Dimension 8200
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    from the desktop can we see the following xirrus, also tell us which is the name of your wireless signal

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

3. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

I hope I did this right. The network I'm having trouble staying connected to is BoxxxWorx. Urban Oasis is the neighbors network that I have no problem staying connected to.

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    first thing to do - log into your router and change the wireless channel to use channel 6

if you look you will see 3 strong signals all on channel 1 - i suspect thats your problem

5. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

Ok here's a stupid question (I'm sure). How do I log into my router?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    post back the make and model of the router

to log into the router - you usually type a number into a webpage - something like 192.168.0.1 - but these change slightly with different makes
    you then have a login screen - require a username and password - again , often set to default like admin

you then goto the wireless section and change the wireless channel

to be specific post the make and exact model and if it has listed the revision level

then we can advise further

7. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the info. My roommate is the one that set up the network and I asked him to log into the router and change the channel like you advised. After he does that I will check to see if that helps and post whether it helped or not. I really appreciate your help on this. Have a great day!

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    also post back another xirrus screenshot - so we can ensure the channel is correct and also no other wireless signals appear , as some people turn off there routers

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because of that channel 9 network it may be worthwhile for you to try channel 5 and 4 also if 6 still has some issues.

10. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

Nope! Changing the channel to 6 didn't help. It says signal strength is excellent and status connected but I can't get any webpage to load. When I try and pull up a website after awhile it comes up as timed out because the webpage is taking too long to load and it says to check my network connection. Even though I still show I have an excellent connection I can't access the internet at all. I've attached a new Xirrus networks image as requested.

Attached Files:

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be a firewall blocking 0 what firewall to you have or everhad on the PC - like a trailversion of norton, mcafee etc
    it would be worth removing the firewall

also try safemode with networking
    wireless does NOT always work with safemode - so not a conclusive test unless the wireless now works

- try safemode with networking
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you test with a connection to your network or are you still connected to your neighbor's network as shown in the Xirrus output?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site.

Try with no encryption, and if that works try WPA-PSK.

13. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

I updated my wireless driver and that has seem to help. It still takes me a couple of times to get and stay connected but at least it's better than it was. Thank you everyone for all the help.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice