1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless won't work when second ethernet cable plugged in

Discussion in 'Networking' started by judbob, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. judbob

judbob Thread Starter

I have a combination modem/router supplied by my internet service. My main floor desktop computer is connected directly via Ethernet cable. Two laptops, an ipad and a couple of TV's connect wirelessly. I have a large house with an office in the basement which is pretty much underground and on the other end of the house, so I recently ran a second Ethernet cable from the upstairs modem/router to a desktop computer in my downstairs office. The connection itself worked fine. I did notice, however, that my wireless connections would not work when the second Ethernet cable was plugged into the modem/router. When I unplugged it, wireless started working again. Could the problem be with the Ethernet cable? It is a CAT 5e cable which I made myself since I needed a custom length. It is my first one, so of course I am doubting myself. It works fine except for the problem it creates with my wireless devices. (My level of expertise is a little more than beginner, but I'm not quite sure I would call myself intermediate yet either.)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Check the settings for the ethernet and wireless devices in that basement desktop.

Some computers will disable one device when the other device is being used.

TerryNet and etaf and a few others are the networking experts here, so one of them will probably jump in to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let me try to get a better understanding. If, say, two devices are connected by Wi-Fi and have internet access and then you connect the new cable and computer, do both wireless devices drop their Wi-Fi connections to the router or do they maintain the connections but no longer have internet access?

4. judbob

judbob Thread Starter

Thanks to you both, flavallee and TerryNet. I actually spent some time on the phone this afternoon with my internet provider and although tech support could not find anything wrong on his end, things seem to be working on my end, at least for the moment. While I have no idea what the problem has been for the past three days, I at least know that my Ethernet cable was not the problem. I appreciate your quick responses! Best regards!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice