1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless works, DSL doesn't. Learn quick :)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misspamela, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misspamela

misspamela Thread Starter

Hi again,

I've gone so long without any problems, I tried so many options before posting but I fear I might screw something else up, so best leave it to the experts at Tech Support Guy! :p

We had a power outage a few weeks back and the modem blew. So I had it replaced, set up the wireless and it all worked. Since Im always on wireless, I didn't even think of trying the DSL cable, but now I am in need of it and it doesn't work. Im sure it's something so simple, but I've been into properties, I've checked my firewall... Im at a loss.

Ok here are my details, I hope someone has some advise. I learn quick!! Let me know if you need any more info from me. I'll be online all day.

Operating System : Windows XP
    Web Browser : Internet Explorer
    Modem Type : 2Wire 2701 HG-T

Thank you in advance,
    Miss Pamela ;)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a known good cable, and you're connecting to the Ethernet connection of the router, right?

Can you post this when connected with the cable?

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. misspamela

Hi JohnWill!
    Thank you for your quick reply. I actually managed to get through to an operator for my telephone company (which in Mexico is super hard to do!) They ran me through some steps and got it working. I logged into Tech Support Guy and guess what?! Same steps! Thank you. Im sure following your instructions would have been quicker, better and less stressful.
    thanks again. Problem SOLVED!

4. misspamela

Oh, for future reference, to anyone who may end up on this thread, my cable was fine and yes I was able to get online with my wireless.

Also, the operator made me do the following :
    Go into the Modem's System Page (I typed my IP address in the address bar) and then had to reset system defaults. We basically reset all things to do with connection to internet (both cable and wireless) The modem goes offline for a minute or two, wait till it comes back up.
    I then went into my laptop's 'Control Panel' and clicked on 'Network Connections'.
    I right hand clicked on my 'Wireless Network Connection" icon and went to 'Properties'.
    Then I selected 'Wireless Networks'. I had to highlight the ticked box which said 'Internet Protocol' and then click 'Properties'.
    I had to choose the two options that would automatically choose my IP address and my DNS. OK and OK.
    In a few seconds it was all up and running.

Hope that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice