1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless works; network doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leneal, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leneal

leneal Thread Starter

I just set up a wireless home network -- laptop (XP), desktop (98se), printer (wired to desktop with wireless to the laptop), router (Belkin make), and cable connection.

Everything worked fine until I tweaked some of the security settings. Both pcs can still access the internet through the router, but the network is gone -- the pcs can't see each other, the printer can't find a network, and the DHCP client list only sees the laptop wireless address. (It used to have addresses for the laptop ethernet connection, the desktop, and printer.) I've tried returning the security settings to the original configuration, but no luck. I don't have any idea what I did wrong.

Any suggestions on what I try next, or do I have to reset the router and start all over again?

2. blin

blin

3. leneal

leneal Thread Starter

Thanks, blin. I've checked both pcs firewalls and the steps in your link (excellent walk thru, by the way!). I can ping, and I can view net. What should I try next?

4. coulterp

coulterp

What security settings did you tweak? Settings on the router, settings on the laptop or settings on the desktop?
    Are both PC wireless to the router?

5. leneal

leneal Thread Starter

Folks, I must admit that, in my frustration, I reset the router to factory defaults, uninstalled the printer driver, and started all over. Redid everything with my network security settings in mind. Now everything is working great. Sometimes square one is the way to go. Still, thanks for the help!

6. blin

blin

we found many cases like this "reset the router". thank you for the feed back.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can use the thread tools at the top right to mark your post solved once you have resolved the problem. :)

8. leneal

leneal Thread Starter

Didn't know about the thread tool. Done! Thanks for telling me.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice