1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wires Running Over Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sikktwizted, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sikktwizted

Sikktwizted Thread Starter

Hey everyone!

Alright so what I have isn't necessarily a problem but I am a bit curious about it.

I recently installed a new fan for my AMD FX 4-core 4170 4.2 processor because I noticed the temperatures were rather high with the old one, and the old fan that came with it sounded like a jet taking off.

The fan I bought came with a nice controller that I decided to install. Because of the amount of wires and whatnot it needed to have connected to run, I had to lay some of them on the top of my graphics card. Will this effect anything or should I have nothing to worry about?

2. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95

What type of temperatures does the card run at? Does it have a fan or just a heat-sink, generally it should not hurt it but if it gets too hot or there is a fan, there will be a problem.

3. Sikktwizted

Well it does have a fan, two actually, but they are on the underside of the card, the wires that I am talking about are sitting on the top side of the card.

The card runs at around 60c under load I think.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Can you tie up the wires with tie wraps or string them so as to not lay across the card?

I doubt having wires just sitting on the backside of the card is going to do anything however when I build a system, I like extra pw connectors, wires, cables, etc neatly tied up and out of the way. Not only does this look better, it facilitates better airflow through the case.

Next if this is a cpu cooler/hsf, why not just use the motherboard's ability to control fan speed via cool&quiet?

5. Sikktwizted

Ok I did some messing around with it, and for the most part the wires are no longer on the graphics card.

I don't really have a lot of room TO neatly put them everywhere >_<. It's a pretty cheap case, I can't even put the side back on because it won't fit due to warping.

I was actually going to do it that way with the motherboard controlling it, but the fan connector is a 3pin and I think that removes the ability to control it with the motherboard, so I have to use the fan controller.

6. NICK G

NICK G Banned

I have never seen wires melt due to routing in all sorts of messy situations. I mean stuffed in between boards, on hard drives
    and laying on the mobo. Now let the insulation get cut and short 5 or 12 to ground and there will be smoke, fire and jello.
    Good luck.:)

7. Sikktwizted

Ok so basically as long as the coating on the wires remains intact, there shouldn't be any problems, correct?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Depends on the board. Both asus and gigabyte boards have numerous options under the smart fan menu; PWM [which is the 4 wire type cooler] Auto which will work with a 3 wire cooler, etc.

If you have a low end board, it may not have these options.

FWIW I would much rather have the mb control fan speeds instead of having an add-in panel.

9. Sikktwizted

I do not believe my board supports that, it was around 100 bucks. Anyway, thanks for solving my question everyone!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063496