Solved: Wirless Networking Woes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Michi702

Ok, today Circuit City installed a D-Link Wireless adapter into my desktop PC (it has a little antenna on it instead of an ethernet plug; I wanted the latter, but maybe there is a work around for this without having to uninstall the thign I didn't want and reinstall the right thing?). I have a D-Link wireless router, which I was going to use to go online wirelessly on my notebook. (So the set up would be, PC w/ DSL and router, and notebook wirelessly connected)

As I said before, they installed something different (I probably wrote down the wrong part :\ ...) from what I thought I was getting. However, if I right click on the wireless network connection (which is from the card installed today), and my router is plugged in (not to the computer, only to a power source), the wireless network card says there is an unsecured wireless network detected. Is it sensing the router? Will I still be able to use DSL even though the router and DSL thing aren't connected?

I'm about to cry, because inevitably something always goes wrong, causing lots of stress, time, and money before things actually work out. I could really use a day-after-Christmas miracle.

Thanks for reading.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Personally, I'd exchange the wireless adapter for a wired model if wired is an option, you'll have far less trouble getting it running and keeping it running. You also want at least one wired machine for configuration of the router.

From the description, it sounds like it's seeing your router.

Of course you can't use the DSL if the router isn't connected to the DSL modem! You need to connect the DSL modem to the router, and then connect with a WIRED connection for the configuration steps, since one of the configuration steps is going to involved losing wireless connectivity.

Michi702

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get the wireless card in my PC switched with the right part, because my router can only connect to my PC via an ethernet port, which was what I tried to get but woudn up with the wireless card...

I thought I was very specific with what I wrote down as far as the part I needed, but maybe the people interpreted my sentence wrong. I wrote something to the effect of "we need a PCI ethernet adapter/card so we can connect a wireless router".

Thanks for the help.

TerryNet

Terry
If you actually wrote "PCI ethernet adapter/card," stress that when trying to get them to exchange for free.

They probably saw "connect a wireless router" and just assumed that "ethernet" was a mistake because you wanted a wireless connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online