Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: With Vista how do you open a new email in IE7?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  VistaRookie 
#1 ·
With IE6 and Outlook Express there was a button on the toolbar for Mail.
It had the following 4 options:

1) Read Mail
2) New Message
3) Send A Link
4) Send A Page

In Vista/IE7 the Read Mail button only opens Windows Mail. No other options.
The Send Page and Send Link choices are under File. BUT where is the
NEW MESSAGE BUTTON?

If it is not available, is there a registry edit to make one?
I'd like to be able to open a new email without opening Windows Mail.

#2 ·
Hi there.
If it's Outlook Express your looking for found this on tool bar help then contents then type out Where is Outlook Express?

Outlook Express has been replaced by Windows Mail, an improved e‑mail program with enhancements such as junk e‑mail filtering and protection against phishing messages.

See also
Working with Windows Mail
Hope this helps.
Gerry

#4 ·
in ie7 go to tools, toolbars, customize. you will then find a mail icon than you can add to your toolbar for double clicking. then just click the button to start the application. NOTE* sometimes it groups icons so your mail button may not be visable, even though you requested that it be put on the toolbar. three should be a small set of arrows at the top right hand side of ie7, just click on that and you will find your mail icon in there instead.

#5 ·
in ie7 go to tools, toolbars, customize. you will then find a mail icon than you can add to your toolbar for double clicking. then just click the button to start the application. NOTE* sometimes it groups icons so your mail button may not be visable, even though you requested that it be put on the toolbar. three should be a small set of arrows at the top right hand side of ie7, just click on that and you will find your mail icon in there instead.
That would be great except...
Following your directions, go to tools->toobars. Under tools in the menu, there is no toolbars.

So, then I thought perhaps you meant to customize the command bar.
Right click command bar->customize command bar->add or remove commands.
However, the only mail related button is "Read Mail" which only opens Windows Mail.
Can you clarify what you meant?
:confused:

#7 ·
thats what i meant open up windows male and set up your pop3 ask ur isp if u dunno how
I sure appreciate help but didn't you read my original post? and those thereafter?
POP3 is not involved and I do have Windows Mail setup for that. I want to open a new email without opening Windows Mail. There was a button to do so in IE6.

#9 ·
OK folks....if you are interested, I have made up a work around that satisfies me. :up::)
This will give you a shortcut to open a new email without opening the entire Windows Mail program.

1) Right click an empty spot on your desktop. Choose New->Shortcut.
2) When the wizard opens, type mailto:
Next step in the wizard, name the shortcut (I just called mine "new email").
3) You can leave it on your desktop if you want but it might be inconvenient to access with IE open (or any window open). So what I did was drag the shortcut to the Quick Launch part of the taskbar.
4) I also have a Windows Mail shortcut there, so I changed the icon to be able to tell them apart. Right click new email->properties->change icon. A good file to extract icons from is C:\windows\system32\SHELL32.dll. Not a lot of mail type icons but just something so you know what it stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.