1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WLAN light not appearing on Router. HELP?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ickabodcrane540, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ickabodcrane540

ickabodcrane540 Thread Starter

Hello there. I am very new to the site and would like to take the opportunity to say thank you for reading up on my forum. Now, onto the question.

Well, I recently purchased a new ipod Touch for my birthday and planned on using Wi-Fi internet for my touch when I'm around the house. My sister had a router that had not before been in much use, the WRT54G Linksys router; so to save money we decided to use that. Well, we plugged in the router on October 7th, (friday) and everything was working -- we had Wifi connection; the WLAN light on the Linksys router was lit up. Now, last night, October 8th, right before going to bed I shut down my computer and I unplugged my computer cable. I did not unplugg the router. This morning, as soon as I turned back on my computer, as soon as it was done booting up I noticed the WLAN button on the router was not lit up. I immediately pulled out my ipod and it said that I was not connected to Wifi. All day I have been unplugging the router/modem, replugging them in, only to find that the WLAN button is still not lighting. The other buttons on the router - 'power', 'internet', and '1' (out of 1, 2, 3, 4) are lit. I have only tried rebooting the modem/router/computer once, which was about ten minutes ago and still nothing helped.

Is there any way to get my Wifi back? The router is pretty much brand new, having never really been in use to begin with. Please help ASAP - Thank you very much.
    Ickabod.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings. If the wireless still does not work the router is defective.

3. ickabodcrane540

ickabodcrane540 Thread Starter

Thank you VERY much TerryNet for the help! It turned out my router is a defective one and it ISN'T as new as I thought it was. Will be picking up a new router tomorrow. Thanks again to Techguy.org and TerryNet! :-D

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is some very good firmware available for that router, so unless the problem with it is physical, it is a classic and probably fixable. It will also allow you to increase the transmitter power.

DD-WRT Firmware

(You can even run Linux on that router :D)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!