Solved: WMP 10 & 11 problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

msbatt2

It first started when trying to view sites like mtv's overdrive and vh1's vspot, it stated something was wrong with WMP and I needed to update. At that time I was running wmp 10 so I decided to upgrade to wmp 11. Part way through the setup of wmp 11 I get a copy error stating cannot copy file wmp 11.chm. to destination directory, its not possible to complete setup. So I decided to roll back to wmp 9 then reinstall wmp 10 to see if that would correct problem but now I'm getting the same copy error when trying to install wmp 10. "error occurred while copying file wmp10.chm. cannot copy to destination directory, its not possible to complete setup. Whats going on here? I dont know what or when something happened as I rarely use wmp but now I find I need it to view certain sites like mtv's overdrive and vh1's vspot. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Have you gone to add/remove and try removing it first?

msbatt2

I did that with wmp 10 and it rolled back to wmp 9 but wmp 9 isn't in add/remove programs even with updates checked. It seems now I'm stuck with wmp 9 because I can't get wmp 10 or 11 to download because of that copy error. I could do system restore to get wmp 10 back but its going to be the faulty version I had before. Still wont be able to download wmp 11.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Add/remove windows components? It should be there.

msbatt2

yes windows media player is there but the last time I tried to use this area my IE got erased so do I check it or un check it to remove? I know, weird question, just want to be cautious. After I remove it here will it be gone completly or just rolled back?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Uncheck to remove. It shouldn't harm anything else. But, just in case, create a restore point.

msbatt2

Well It looks like WMP is now removed, although while removing I got this error:
error occured while copying file
bckg.ch_.
rvse.ch_.
shul.ch_.
hrtz.ch_.
cannot copy files to destination directory.
I proceeded to uninstall without copying these files and It looks like WMP is gone. Should I try and download WMP 10 or 11 now?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'd go with 10 as I think 11 is still Beta, no?

msbatt2

Ok, I got WMP 10 to install even though I did still have (error occured while copying WMP10.chm. and wmperr10.chm. cannot copy file to destination directory). I hit continue installation without copying these files and it managed to install this time. I still cant see video on these two sites, mtv's overdrive and vh1's vspot. I have followed all instructions these sites have given me but I only can hear the audio, still can't see the video. I do remember that my limited users on this computer were able to see these sites when I, as admin., wasn't. Now because the limited user accounts cannot view any flash content since the last flash update (whole new problem) I cant check any more to see if they can view video from these sites. Someone had once told me it could be my security settings but I wouldn't begin to know which ones it would be. Thank you for taking the time to help out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online