1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WMP 11 DVD playback?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by PCG342, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCG342

PCG342 Banned Thread Starter

Right. I had Media Player 10. Perfectly happy with it. Even watched DVDs with it, 'cause I found a good codec - somewhere. But then I went and did something stupid and updated.
    WMP11 SUCKS!
    Okay. All right. Fine, I can play music. No biggie. But this morning, I pop in my copy of "The Punisher" only to find that it can't decode it. So I download XP Codec pack 2.0.6
    Now, I get an error message as follows:

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

If it's any help, I have SP2.
    My video card drivers are up to date. So, now what?

2. pip22

pip22

Roll back to WMP 10 by uninstalling v11 in Add/remove Programs.
    Microsoft has "beefed up" the Digital Rights Management/Copy Protection features in v11.

Alternatively, removing that codec pack and installing a newer one may do the trick, but you may have to install a "paid for" decoder plug-in
    from the links here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx#DVDDecoder

3. PCG342

Won't play DVDs with Radlight 4.0, either, if that means something. Trying the rollback right now.

4. PCG342

GAH! Okay, got video working, but now I can't play music!
    It just gives me a "Send error report?" message. I'll post details in a bit.

5. PCG342

AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.3646 ModName: mmswitch.ax
    ModVer: 0.9.4.0 Offset: 00004e86

6. PCG342

Still no luck playing audio. Even installed new codecs. Any ideas? Anyone?
    Bueller?

7. techy689

techy689

Well, is WMP 10 and 11 both not working?

Did you try installing DivX codecs... that's has worked for me with similiar issues in the past.

8. PCG342

Both are nonfunctional - WMP 10 crashes as described earlier.
    And yes I have.

9. t bone

t bone

before you updated to wmp11 it should have created a system restore point, try restoring to that place in time...if it doesn't fix the problem u can undo and restore back to where your at now.

10. PCG342

I've got jack. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Didn't think to check that...

11. Denver Dave

Denver Dave

12. desertwind

desertwind

This thread is marked SOLVED but just as an FYI in case it helps anyone, Storm v2.06 didn't work for me either, but there's a much newer one, v7.02.01, that seems to work fine (did for me anyway):

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Storm_Codec.htm

Make sure you uninstall all other codecs you may have tried. Run the codec installer, then reboot. Using the MS deccheck.exe utility verifies that v7.02.01 is compatible with wmp10/11.

I only tried it for commercial DVD playback (Nemo, Big Fish), so I can't vouch for other formats/operations, so be advised.

FWIW!

Tawni

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!