Solved: WMP 11 DVD playback?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PCG342

Banned
Right. I had Media Player 10. Perfectly happy with it. Even watched DVDs with it, 'cause I found a good codec - somewhere. But then I went and did something stupid and updated.
WMP11 SUCKS!
Okay. All right. Fine, I can play music. No biggie. But this morning, I pop in my copy of "The Punisher" only to find that it can't decode it. So I download XP Codec pack 2.0.6
Now, I get an error message as follows:

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

If it's any help, I have SP2.
My video card drivers are up to date. So, now what?

PCG342

Banned
Won't play DVDs with Radlight 4.0, either, if that means something. Trying the rollback right now.

PCG342

Banned
GAH! Okay, got video working, but now I can't play music!
It just gives me a "Send error report?" message. I'll post details in a bit.

PCG342

Banned
AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.3646 ModName: mmswitch.ax
ModVer: 0.9.4.0 Offset: 00004e86

PCG342

Banned
Still no luck playing audio. Even installed new codecs. Any ideas? Anyone?
Bueller?

Well, is WMP 10 and 11 both not working?

Did you try installing DivX codecs... that's has worked for me with similiar issues in the past.

PCG342

Banned
Both are nonfunctional - WMP 10 crashes as described earlier.
And yes I have.

before you updated to wmp11 it should have created a system restore point, try restoring to that place in time...if it doesn't fix the problem u can undo and restore back to where your at now.

PCG342

Banned
t bone said:
before you updated to wmp11 it should have created a system restore point, try restoring to that place in time...if it doesn't fix the problem u can undo and restore back to where your at now.
I've got jack. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Didn't think to check that...

This thread is marked SOLVED but just as an FYI in case it helps anyone, Storm v2.06 didn't work for me either, but there's a much newer one, v7.02.01, that seems to work fine (did for me anyway):

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Storm_Codec.htm

Make sure you uninstall all other codecs you may have tried. Run the codec installer, then reboot. Using the MS deccheck.exe utility verifies that v7.02.01 is compatible with wmp10/11.

I only tried it for commercial DVD playback (Nemo, Big Fish), so I can't vouch for other formats/operations, so be advised.

FWIW!

Tawni

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online