1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WMP shuts down immediately after starting up

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by FarRed, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FarRed

FarRed Thread Starter

Anyone run into this? My Windows Media Player 11 shuts down as soon as I open it, giving me the usual Windows message "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close...".

So far it only does it when I try to open a library audio book which uses some sort of DRM or license or when my MP3 player is attached (which also has audio books on it). This was working fine a couple weeks ago. The only changes on my computer is I just downloaded an update to Avast AV and I'm using MS PowerToys SyncToy to sync My Documents. I tried a System Restore, to no avail.

I'm not familiar with the technical details. It lists assorted "modules":
    wmplayer.exe
    ntdll.dll
    kernel32.dll
    ADVAPI.dll
    RPCRT4.dll
    Secur32.dll
    USER32.dll
    GDI32.dll
    IMM32.dll
    LVPrcInj.dll
    uxtheme.dll
    msvcrt.dll
    wmp.dll
    ole32.dll
    COMCTL32.dll
    SHLWAPI.dll
    OLEAUT32.dll

Event viewer lists this: "Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, faulting module indiv01.key, version 11.0.6000.6324, fault address 0x000ffe96."

I'm running XP Pro on an HP xw8000 workstation, dual processor 3.0G. Thanks for any advice.

2. FarRed

FarRed Thread Starter

It looks like this is a combination of WMP11 and my library audio book download service. I restored my drive with a ghost image from before this probem occured, and it still wouldn't work. It works on WMP10. I'm guessing the library changed something on their DRM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734481