1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WMP Streaming video problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by case649, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. case649

case649 Thread Starter

2. lifted

lifted

Are you on a laptop by chance?

3. case649

case649 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I figured this thread had probably scrolled by now.

No, I am not on a laptop. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4100 (desktop) running Windows XP.

Updates on my situation:
    1) I ran the installer for Windows Media Player 10 again, and that didn't fix the problem. Unfortunately, it seems Windows won't let me uninstall it and do a clean install.

2) My firewall is disabled. I doubt that's what is tripping me up.

3) Weird thing I noticed: My roommate's copy of WMP 10 has an XM Satellite Radio menu in the upper-right hand corner. I have no such thing. His computer is a brand new Dell laptop. Mine is a 8-year old garage PC. His player can play the live video, mine can't. Does he have a different edition of WMP than I do (version number in About... window is the same)? Or does he just have an extra plugin or something?

4. case649

case649 Thread Starter

Found the answer to the problem on WMPlugins.com.

In the Options, under Performance, there is a section for connection speed. Mine was set to 56k (used to be on dialup at home, now on broadband at college). Changed it to Detect Connection (Recommended) and now it works perfectly.

If anyone else has a similar problem, try this!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!