1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WMP11 missing codec (which is part of WMP11..??)

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Berillio, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Berillio

Berillio Thread Starter

Hello.
    I have a friend with two laptops. One is an old Dell Inspiron 510 and the other is a new Samsung NC10. iPlayer desktop version 1.2.11066 is installed on both. Both run WMP11. The problem is that the Samsung cannot play iplayer files downloaded to be "used by Windows media player", whether downloaded by the DELL or by the Samsung. WMP loads up, few seconds later, on the bottom left it says "codec aquired", while at the same time a popup windows comes up saying "a codec is required".
    The odd thing is that the required codec is Windows Video 9. This codec should be part of WMP11. But in case something had gone wrong, I downloaded and installed:
    first, a bunch of codecs from http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Pack_All_in_1_download.htm
    and then the WMP11 runtime from http://www.free-codecs.com/Windows_Media_Format_11_download.htm
    all this to no effect.
    I also installed ffdshows (it was on the DELL)
    If of any interest, VLC "open" the files in the DELL (but they are scrambled, because of VRM, I guess), while in the Samsung the player does not open the video part, but one can only see the time cursor advancing like in an audio only file, although the video codec is properly identified.
    Somewhere I saw a mention of issues of WMP11 with Quicktime, but this is not installed on the Samsung (nor on the DELL).
    Listing the codec shows most of them on both machines (but the Windows video 9, or WMV3, does not appear in the list on either of the laptops, nor WMV1 or WMV2).
    Any ideas of what's causing this?
    Thanks in advance,

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

What OS?

3. Berillio

Berillio Thread Starter

oops - sorry - XP , with SP3, on both

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. zyper95

zyper95

If you have installed a video software that requires driver installation it messes up some ofthe codecs of the media player. I had this kind of problem before when I install a video converter on my computer and suddenly my video files are no longer being recognized.

So what I did to resolve the problem was I uninstalled video converter software, reinstall my video players and try to open the video file again and it was fine once again.

As for you, try top remove all the installed video player and leave only the Windows Media Player. Now uninstall WMP11 to revert it back to the original player which is WMP9 to rebuild the codecs. Then after removing WMP11, restart your computer.

After the rebooting try to open first an iplayer video and check if it is working with WMP9, if it is working then download WMP11 via update or manually download it from Microsot and test it again.

6. Berillio

Berillio Thread Starter

Zyper,
    first of all, thanks. The problem is that the NC10 is the "travelling laptop"; it is fairly new and there is hardly any soft installed on it, nor it will EVER have much soft installed.
    I think that it came with WMP11, but if we upgraded to it, it is simply to keep the same versions on all pc's - same layout, same looks etc. Having said so, there may be something which installed automatically (say - like Nero installs the Nero player) which might have screwed up something (it would not be Nero, there is no optical drive, but you know what I mean). But this is the reason why I installed the WMP11 runtimes, to REINSTALL the basic codecs, in case they got overwritten by something else. I will go back and pass it via the fine comb. Thanks again for the advices.

7. zyper95

zyper95

If you still have the problem after reinstalling, you might want to install Klite Mega Codec Pack. This is a free software, this is what I use when opening video files such as FLV, MKV, HD, MPEG-4, AVI, WMV, to name a few.

You just need to associate the codecs of Klite to your Windows Media Player so that when you try to watch a video your WMP11 will be able to recognize those files with the help of the Klite codecs.

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

iplayer files
    can you confirm you mean the bbc i player please

9. Berillio

Berillio Thread Starter

Mumbodog - sorry I missed your posting earlier on (I hate Safari - the tags seem to disappear somewhat). I will check your codec collection - although it seems to be a VISTA set, and I am running XP - well, the site would have the XP set too, I guess.

Zyper - ditto - I will check the other installed "viewers", rollback to WMP10(?)WMP9 (?) if I can, and after going back to WMP11, if unsuccessful, I will try the Klite set.

Blackmirror - yep, I mean the BBC iplayer. Just to confirm again, when downloading, one is offered the option of a download for the WMP, which will download a *.wmv file. This is the option we take. The file downloaded by DELL plays on the DELL but not on the NC10. The file downloaded by the NC10 does not play on the NC10. Both laptops are on the same network (DELL is wired, NC10 is on WiFi). I have not tried opening the NC10 downloaded file on the DELL, I'll report when I know.
    Thanks to everyone.

10. Berillio

Berillio Thread Starter

Bingo!
    Uninstalling the two codec packs which I had (ACE and All in one) and installing shark007 codec pack did the trick ! Thank you mumbodog (but that page would not open the links properly with k-meleon - just for the record).
    Zyper, thank you very much for your input too - it would have been my next port of call. Blackmirror, thank to you too.
    My friend Gaelle sends a whole lot of kisses to you all !!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice