1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wmv won't play when downloaded but will play when streamed

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by nbp03, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

Hi, i've been searching this forum for quite awhile and can't find any answers and was hoping someone can help me. Like the title says, when i download any .wmv file, i cant play it. I get this error, "Windows Media Player cannon play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." But when i stream the video to watch it, it plays fine. I formated my computer twice and reinstalled windows xp with sp2 and windows media player 10. Please, any advice will help.

2. dai

dai

3. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

hey dai, i tried using those codecs and i still have the same problem. I cant get any of my .wmv files on my harddrive to play but when streamed thru the internet, i can play them fine. For example, i want to watch this video,

http://video.vtec.net/06/civic/06project_si-progress.wmv

When i download it and try to play it, i get a error. When i stream it by opening the file instead of saving, it plays...i need help badly...

4. dai

dai

5. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

This is for all the wmv files i try to play thats currently on my hardrive. Tried a couple programs from that link and didn't work. :(

6. dai

dai

the other thing that comes to mind is a plugin,click on the tool bars in wmv,somewhere in there is a d/l button

7. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

I checked the plugins, but i have no idea which one i should try and most of them are things i have to pay for. I'd hate to pay for something that doesn't work. Is there a specific plugin i should choose?

8. dai

dai

9. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

tried it didn't work =(

10. dai

dai

11. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

12. dai

dai

13. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

Still no dice.... :(

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Although the file was too long for me to do a complete download on dialup -- I did download and run 3mb worth. I was able to view it using WMP 9.

I ran "Gspot" on it and got the following results, you might want to do the same and compare both with mine and with wmv's that you can run:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Attached Files:

15. nbp03

nbp03 Thread Starter

Hey Rollin' Rog, i ran Gspot and this is the results so far. Any idea on what i should do? Thanx agen.

[​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice