1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wondering about Windows 7 compatibility problems...Is it Vista all over again

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GEOFF, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

I bought a new laptop 3 years ago when Vista first arrived. I had a number of difficult issues with program compatibility (printer, sound drivers camera programs etc.) and was always searching for drivers to download and had issues with the Windows dirvers. I even had a difficult time getting SP1 to install. (finally had to remove sound drivers that conflicted to get SP1 in and then reinstall them).

I plan to buy a new laptop next year with Windows 7 as mine is slowing down and no room for more Ram I also wanted to wait until after Windows 7 SP1. Meanwhile I just bought a new Cannon Camera (CD says XP and Vista only) and a new printer and I may need some other software.

My question is, am I setting myself up now for big problems later when I buy a Windows 7 Notebook if I am buying things now that do not show Windows 7 ready yet? Will it be all the Vista problems all over again or with Windows 7 is it much easier and smoother to update and run Vista approved software? I even wonder if I should return my camera and wait until the camera's Windows 7 version is out...
    Thank you,
    G

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Try just plugging in the camera, I have installed camera software only once and it messed up my machine. I use the software within XP, Vist, and Windows 7 to download my pictures to the computer.

When you plug in your camera with a USB cable and turn it on, the OS will fined it and you download just like you would a USB thumbdrive (Flash f drive or what ever you call them).

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

DaveA--Yes, that's true. I did do that with my notebook now running Vista Home Premium and Windows found it and I loaded on some test photos just like a flash drive as you said.

So, with Windows 7 what you are saying is Windows7 would do the same thing with this camera and not have any issues with the camera itself being pre Windows7 issue.. That was my worry.

If that is the case then there are enough features in Windows for me to copy the pictures over and do minor adjustments and file them in the Pictures Folder. Maybe Windows7 has more features as well.

The cannon CD seems to have lots on it, but don't think I necessarily need it then.
    Thank you,
    G

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You can always go to Canon website and download the latest software and drivers for your product.

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDDownloadDropDownAct

When shopping for electronics prior to purchase, I always go to the manufacturers website to check out their support for the particular product, this is a big factor in determining to purchase it or not.

Canon has the some of best support in the consumer electronics industry.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows 7 does a better job with peripheral drivers than Windows Vista did, but that doesn't mean every device you have will work. Check the device manufacturer's website for Windows 7 compatibility to verify.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Vista = 7

So if the driver was certified for Vista x86, then 99% of the time it will work just fine in 7 x86. Same for x64.

I do agree that likely you don't need the driver either, just plug it in and it should be seen as a storage device in My computer. It works with my Nikon d90 and most other cameras.

7. betuskiboy20

betuskiboy20

You are woorying too much about this, Windows 7 has done a great job in recognizing peripheral devices and its also very easy to to detect new hardware ....its the best OS to date for a reason..... also the drivers you use on Vista are fully compatible with With Win7 also My printer which is an HP model only has drivers for XP/Vista but then after a little searching online at the manufacturers website i found the driver for my printer which works with Win7 and the installation was a snap Win 7 is much easier and simpler to use I'm currently Daul bootin Vista / Win7 home premium both and i havent had any compatibilty issues.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

7 is using the Vista kernel so compatibility would be expected to be very nearly identical. It is the kernel that determines hardware compatibility.

But of the 480 programs I moved from XP to Vista, and 100's of pieces of hardware, I've only had one program not work in Vista or one of its compatibility modes.

Some may require being installed to the AppData folder, like Google Chrome does so it can get around all the security and phone home about what you are doing.

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Usually you are right, but there are exceptions. Logitech drivers for one I have seen problems between Vista drivers on Windows 7, but thats more the exception then the norm.

You should always check for the latest drivers, even if you have drivers for Windows 7, the latest might perform better. If there are not 7 drivers, normally Vista drivers will work fine.

Again I must stress the problem with Vista was the developers... and by the time 7 launched most of these problems had been solved (looking at NVidia on this one)

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it is not the responsibility of the OS maker to create drivers or compatibiulity with every piece of hardware out there. The hardware people have to get on the stick. It really took a long time, too long, before XP drivers for common hardware were released in some cases, too.

11. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Great help and discussion at Tech Support Guy as is usual. Thank you.

I checked my Cannon camera on the Windows 7 compatible list and it is listed under 32 and 64 bit..
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...anon&uid=3473B001&pf=7&pi=2&s=canon&os=32-bit

Question: When they list the camera as compatible with Windows 7, do they mean the software on the CD that came with the camera is also compatible? Or just the camera.
    By the way, the Cannon website shows no download updates for the camera regarding Windows 7.

It appears that Microsoft and the hardware makers are much more in sync with Windows 7than with Vista as everyone is indicating.

So my camera should be fine with Windows 7 when I connect it up and show up like a storage device as it does now on Vista. Just wondering about the CD.
    G

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Just the Camera..

13. davesgrandad

davesgrandad

Hi Geoff,
    I can comment on this issue as I have just converted from Vista to W7, and I used to use the Canon ZoomBrowser software from the Canon CD to download pictures from my SD cards from both my Nikon D90 camera and my Canon Ixus 900 TI cameras. This software suited me as it organised the pics into dated folders.
    Now then, when I changed to W7 the system allowed me to load the Canon software from the CD, but will not allow it run, saying that it has "Known compatibility issues".
    I thought Ok, then I will try the Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG) software which is a free download from MS. This seems to do what I want, but it has its own problems. I find that SD cards that downloaded quite happily via other software packages, both Nikon and Canon, now caused WLPG to find "corrupt files" all over the SD card. If you click on "Re-try" it seems to accept the file, but after doing this about a dozen times, it becomes a bit much.
    So I am in a quandary about all this. Please note that I always try to download pictures via the SD card and a card reader, as there is no way I want to trust connecting my valuable cameras to any flaky computer software.
    Anyway, I thought I would answer your original question, to let you know that the Canon software will not currently work with W7.

14. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Thank you Mumbodog & davesgrandad (all others too). You have now pinned down what is compatible and what isn't. I too used Cannon Zoombrowser when I had W98SE and jumped to Visata and of course Zoombrowser would not work with Vista. No amount of effort at that time downloading drivers and patches could get Zoombrowser to run on Vista so I just used a card reader for my SD card.

Because accoring to davesgrandad Zoombrowser now does not now run on W7, it may be that way for a while or forever. By the way davesgrandad, I find the Pictures forlder and Windows Photo Gallery quite good for organizing my photos and photo folders, but perhaps Zoombrowser has more features---it has been a while since I used it.

So, I should keep the camera if I don't plan on using Zoombrowser or if I want to use Zoombrowser, return the camera because Zoombrowser is not compatible with W7 and wait until the W7 version is in the stores. I think I may return it and wait. By the way, I wonder what percent of people use the software supplied with a camera?

I guess when W8 is released we will face all these issues again. As W7 arrived only 3 years after Vista, then W8 may be not that far away.

Mumbodog was right. Always check out versions and manufacturer's support before buying new hardware.
    G

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No one said Zoombrowser (whatever that is) is not compatible with Windows 7. You asked the question if the hardware was on the compatibility list if that included the software on the CD, and it doesn't. Hardware compatibility is not software compatibility. Two different things. If the software works under Vista, it could work under 7. Windows 7 also has several compatibility mode options for installing software.

There are a lot of photo editing and managing programs available that work just fine with Windows 7. You can always find another (probably better) program to use. Don't pick a camera based on the software it comes with. Pick a camera based on the camera itself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice