1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wondering why "(user)?-SID" displays in file properites > security tab

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tjamnz, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Hello..

Im on a domain

Im right clicking a folder and checking out its security settings becuase i want to see who has access to this particular object.

Ive noticed a few times over the years that sometimes here a sid show up like this:

(user)?-S-1-5-21-73563837363-893763837363-83736378383-1005

(meaning little clear head with question mark icon (overlapping head) followed by long sid)

anyways...normally its just users and groups. and not just some sort of id.

Does anyone know why this shows up sometimes?

These users have full control
    -Me
    -Admin
    - and this strange sid that appeared out of nowhere lol.

2. johnhe

johnhe

Could it be that the folder was created by a user account that was later deleted? That would leave SIDs with no corresponding user profile or Security information in the registry or on the domain. That could explain why the user name is unknown. The SID you show appears to be a local account so you should see the SID as a keyname in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

If the key doesn't exist or the user name listed under the key with that name no longer has an account on the machine it could explain what you are seeing.

John Hensley
    www.resqware.com

3. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

ive asked this question from an experience mcse before and he didnt know why.. said he'd never seen it before. cool.

that must be it...

thanks

interesting...

i have 5 sids in the Profile list in the registry: (profile image path: ..\..\(name) )
    - system profile
    -local service
    -network service
    -User (i think this is the sid of my admin account (default).. even though i renamed it another name)

lots o' reading to do... my next course is AD

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice