1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Won't auto complete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 4dsmom, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I am using a different Pc than my own. It has XP. Auto complete is checked but it won't fill in anything. Can any one tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

There is s service that also has to be running as well. It has been while since I accidently found out which one.If the user has been tweaking services it could be the problem.

3. DerekC

DerekC

There is more then one Auto Complete option.

Open IE (i'm currently using 7, if you have another version you may have different options). Click Tools, then Internet Options. Select the Content Tab, and click the setting box near auto complete. Check the boxes you want, then click ok.

Then in Internet Options, click the Advanced tab. Scroll down and look for "Use inline auto complete" Check this, then click apply and ok. Then give it a shot.

4. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thanks all
    I am using IE 6, and checked those settings. All are as should be. Still don't auto complete. Very annoying when one is used to having the blanks on forms auto filled.
    Hopefully it will "fix itself" one of these days.
    Thanks Again

5. karbo

karbo Banned

If you have XP Pro:

Go to Start / Run / type gpedit.msc

User Configuration

Administrative Templates

Windows Components

Click on Internet Explorer and you'll have the options on your right. Check if they have been disabled.

For XP Home:

Go to Start / Run / type regedit

Disable AutoComplete for forms
    KEY: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
    DWORD: FormSuggest = 1

Do not allow auto-complete to save passwords
    KEY: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
    DWORD: FormSuggest Passwords = 1

Change the 1 for a 0.

6. karbo

karbo Banned

Can you tell us what fixed your problem?

7. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I marked it solved because I do not want to change anything in the registry, being it is not my computer. I appreciate all the help I received. but decided to just put up with it not "completing" for the short itime I will be using this PC in question.
    Thanks again

8. karbo

karbo Banned

No problem. Thanks for the feedback.

But still, if you have XP Pro, you won't have to mess with the registry.

If it's a work computer though, chances are you won't be able to access all of these Group Policy or registry settings.

9. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

it is XP home and I am just going to put up with it the way it is. Thanks again

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice