1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wont boot, need bios after processor change

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcyarmo, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcyarmo

jcyarmo Thread Starter

Helping a friend repair her pc turned into a nightmare, met my match as a pc tinkerer.
    Anyway, processor had the pins bent after a bad heatsink removal and wouldn't boot.
    Replaced processor with what I thought was a compatable one, now on startup it reads:
    microcode failure, update bios, F2 to continue
    I cannot get into the bios set up menu.
    Is there a way to update bios with a boot disk of some sort or clear the bios and start new??

Compaq Presario SR 1403WM
    original CPU: AMD sempron sda3000aioba
    replacement CPU: AMD sempron sda3000aio2bx-n
    Mobo: Asus K8S -LA

2. Sponsor

3. BG-0

BG-0

You will need a natively (BIOS version one, or the one on the board currently) supported CPU to update the bios. And you will need that update to use the CPU you have...

4. jcyarmo

jcyarmo Thread Starter

Well that sure sounds logical, but I have no clue how to proceed down that road. Can you advise me on that process?

5. RetroGuy

RetroGuy

The bios is unlikely to be the culprit.. If the failure is at a very basic level (RAM, processor, chipset controllers) that is usually when you can't get to the BIOS setup (and not the BIOS's fault)
    Check if you're using the right processor, whether it's been connected properly, and whether any other damage has been done to the hardware.
    I would suggest not doing any experiments with BIOS upgrades, the motherboard could be rendered useless. Not at this stage atleast where you can't be sure where the problem is. Check online for compatibility of the motherboard for the processor you're using.

6. OscarTT21

OscarTT21

I had a look and cant find the Mobo listed anywhere on the asus support site.

AMD doesn't have the board listed as recommended for sempron
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_11521^11522~87785,00.html
    However it sounds like it came with a sempron CPU from compaq and worked before so you would expect compatibility.

Maybe its because its a compaq? I believe they have their boards manufactured/configured specifically for their machines?
    Is this the reason for what you stated BG-0? Why one CPU from the same familly will work and another wont?

I'm not questioning anyone here i'm interested :rolleyes:

7. jcyarmo

jcyarmo Thread Starter

Yikes what did I get myself into?
    On the surface it seems everything was installed properly, the cpu dropped in perfectly and no other damage seems eveident.
    Only difference is the last couple of letters on the new processor, supposedly they are compatable. original AMD sempron was sda3000aioba replaced with a sda3000aio2bx-n

The mobo specs are here - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00257657

8. OscarTT21

OscarTT21

You said that the pins on the old CPU got bent and stopped the system from booting therefore the CPU had not been installed correctly when the heatsink was changed and powered up which in turn could have damaged hardware/motherboard like RetroGuy said

9. jcyarmo

jcyarmo Thread Starter

By some miracle after fiddling with it, I was able to boot up in safe mode.
    I'm not touching it again without guidance. Can I download a bios upgrade from another pc and try to install it??

10. OscarTT21

OscarTT21

What did you do?

11. jcyarmo

jcyarmo Thread Starter

after hitting F2, and out of frustration, I hit in no particular order the esc, f1, f10 keys until a menu popped up.
    Highlighted safe mode and hit enter.
    It now says windows has installed new devices and wants me to restart, do I dare or should I install the bios update first while I still can?

12. OscarTT21

OscarTT21

You dont update the BIOS in the windows environment anyway so if you were to update it you will have to power down and reboot with a bootable CD/floppy.
    So restart and see what happens...

good luck

13. RetroGuy

RetroGuy

Do you really need a BIOS upgrade? Doing that is only going to add support for something you are not being able to use. Have you identified such a thing? You'll have to make sure about the processor being fully compatible with the board. Plz don't start doing a BIOS upgrade without being sure other things are workng fine!
    well yeah you just have to download a file from the manufacturer's website and run it. You'll probably need Windows to run that utility (it will shut off Windows, yes, but I think they do this to make sure that your hardware is working and able to run Windows!) :-D

14. RetroGuy

RetroGuy

F8 give the menu to choose startup mode for Windows, that's probablly what you pressed.
    Have you been able to get into BIOS setup since? You didn't mention that..
    Do the BIOS upgrade later. First install INF updates for the mobo and drivers for your hardware and see how they respond.

15. OscarTT21

OscarTT21

16. jcyarmo

jcyarmo Thread Starter

went right back to the old microcode failure, update bios message.
    I didn't get the same menu options this time, it asked which drive I wanted to boot up from , I chose C:/ and it just loaded XP really slowly, but it loaded. Looks like it's going to do this every time at start up.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/790084