1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mrcobra, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Ok I have tried so many things with this Toshiba Satalitte and I still cannot get it to the desktop. I was able ONCE to get it there in safe mode but as of right now, not again. I managed to try the "repair your pc" which I got to that option by selecting F8, it said it was going to attempt to fix. After it finished I scrolled through and saw the following.

"system volume on disc is corrupt" Unfortunately there are no restore points, I have tried going back to last known good config and as of right now I do not have the restore disc.

Are there any other options available to me at this time or I should just wait on the discs?

Thank you

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The disk will, of course, reinstall the system. If you have files to recover, you should check into doing that now.

Did you try running chkdsk on the volume?

Are you interested in file recovery?

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I did get it to do a chkdsk once and it ran all the way through, The 2nd time I received "An unspecified error occurred "( black and white screen)...Which said one of your disks need to be checked for errors.

At this point I am not overly concerned about recovery of any files lol.

the laptop is currently running start up repair which I ran three times already and the last time received the error " system volume is corrupt"

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd suspect a bad drive. But bad RAM can mimic almost any error. So if you want to be sure before you spend money or proceed any further, try a RAM test.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is certainly not a good sign that chkdsk did not finish. Again, that could be RAM. Did you run chkdsk /r to try to recover bad sectors and also report about any found (that could take a very long time on a corrupted disk, but the report will tell you pretty clearly if you need a new drive by how much bad surface it finds, provided it ever finishes).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You could also try a system recovery if you have not removed the recovery partition. That is pretty much the same as the recovery disks. I have removed mine from my Satellite, so I don't know what keypress starts it (F5, F11, or boot menu F12???). It should be in your documentation, or these from Toshiba:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/pma500208010_web.pdf
    http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/PMA500339010_web.pdf

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Elvandil,

thanks for the help. I got a hold of the restore discs and just did an entire reinstall of Windows. Everything seems to be running great. Thanks for the help and information.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!