1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Won't give me a Sound Card option

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by midser, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. midser

midser Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 494 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38201 MB, Free - 19917 MB; D: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 40353 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D865GLC
    Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I bought new speakers but when I installed them, it says to go into Audio, and Select SOUNDCARD under that Tab SOUND PLAYBACK DEVICE but my computer won't give me the option, it only has SOUNDMAX Digital Audio. Does this mean I mean to buy a Sound Card or is there some other way I can get sound.

(The old speakers worked with this SOUNDMAX Digital Audio but I wanted new speakers as the old ones crackle, etc. and the On/Off button doesn't work any more, so has to be left stuck On with a toothpick).

I don't have the disk for XP as it was on the second hand computer when I bought it.

Thanks
    Diana

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Diana:

Here is the on-line manual for the Intel D865GLC motherboard that you appear to have in that computer.

It has Analog Devices ADI 1985 audio.

Page 43 of 142, section 1.10, describes the audio system.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Click the + in Sound Video And Game Controllers

What's listed in that heading?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are these USB speakers or standard 3.55mm stereo connector speakers? What's the brand and model of these new speakers?

SoundMax Digital Audio is your sound card which is made by Analog Devices(ADI), it's what is used when you connect 3.55mm speakers to your computer.

4. midser

midser Thread Starter

They are 3.55 mm speakers and the make is Logitech.

NOTE: I have switched back to the old speakers and they are mute now as well ??

5. midser

midser Thread Starter

Hi Folks:

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Since you replied I went into the Audio again and clicked "Use only default devices". It was unticked before because I thought it was not the Sound Card that was there. Didn't realize that SOUNDMAX Digital Audio was the sound card.

It's working great now. Thanks so very much.
    Diana

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got it working (y)

7. midser

midser Thread Starter

Hi Flavallee:

I didn't realize that the SOUNDMAX Digital Audio was the SOUND CARD and had disengaged it, once I applied it, it worked again. I just wanted to say though that I appreciate your response to my question and I have kept a note of where to get the manual as I know that I will need it somewhere down the line. Thanks so much for taking time to respond to my question.
    Thanks again.
    Diana

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Diana,
    Glad all is working:) If you would be so kind as to mark this Solved by clicking the icon at top of page.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice