1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2000 Problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RED CLOUD, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dear Friends,

I am trying to help out a friend with a Word 2000 problem and wonder please if some kind person could offer advice. After she opens the program and starts to use it everything works fine for about twenty minutes and then the following message appears.

Abnormal Programme Termination
    Microsoft Visual C++
    Run Time Library
    Run Time Error
    C:/Program File/Microsoft/Office 10/ Winword. Exe

This message then "blocks" the screen and if my friend cancels the message by clicking the "X" button in the top right hand corner the computer reverts to the desktop and she loses all she has typed in word.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Red Cloud

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try changing the time for autosave and see if that makes a difference.

3. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dave,

Thank you very much for your reply. Please excuse my total ignorance, but could you please advise how and where I can adjust the Autosave.

Thank you,

Red Cloud

4. DaveBurnett

Open Word. Look under TOOLS/OPTIONS/ and the SAVE tab. It is b=near the bottom.

By the way, where in Leicestershire??

5. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dear Dave,

Thanks for the information I will visit my friend and adjust the Autosave.
    I am completely non technical, but have spent some time searching the Net regarding this problem and it seems that articles 320475 and 319154 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base my be relevant, although they refer to Word 2002 and not 2000. I am out of my depth with this, but another friend is a Systems Analyst and I am going to try and seek his help.

Live in Medbourne near Market Harborough !!

Thanks for your help,

Keith

6. DaveBurnett

The first of those articles is likely to be closer. You can check the Normal.dot by openning it, although if it was that at fault I would expect it to fail immediately. It is far more likely to be giving the error when it is trying to save. That is why I asked you to change the time, so that it would fail after a different time. You could also check the FILE Locations and make a note of them as well as making sure they are valid and exist.

7. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dear Dave,

The news is good !! I followed your instructions and rather than adjust the timing on the AutoSave (actually called AutoRecovery on my friends version) I disabled it and the problem has been cured.

Thank you so much for your help, I am in awe of this site in that so many kind people offer their time and expertise for free, to help people such as myself with limited technical knowledge.

Kind Regards,

Red Cloud

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice