1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(solved) Word 2000: Visual Basic error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by scootertiki, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scootertiki

scootertiki Thread Starter

Hi, Everytime I open up my word 2000, I get two error messages the first on reading, "The file OLEAUT32.DLL is out of date. This program requires a newer version." So then I click OK, and another error message comes up reading, "The Visual Basic environment could not be intialized." I went into my microsoft templates and renamed my normal.dot. I went back in and now I had normal old.dot (the one I renamed) and normal.dot. And the message is still coming up. I am not sure what to do. I have Windows 2000 Professional. I know VB is a programming language, so I am confused as to why it is coming up in Word.

Any help is appreciated.
    THanks Liz

2. B3gbie

B3gbie

A lot of applications of this sort feature a limited vb environment, as many macros etc can be made within this environment. With respect to your problem i suggest backing up your files and reinstalling word (first try the repair function and if no joy then uninstall and start from scratch). Hope this is of some use.

3. scootertiki

I will definitely try and do that. Thank you for your speedy answer. I hate it when you ask a question and you don't get a response for like weeks, or worse, you never get a response. But I have found that these are the best way to find the information I need.
    Thanks Again,
    Liz
    ;)

4. scootertiki

Unfortunately,
    reinstalling word, did not work. The error messages are still there. Anyone else have any more ideas as to what to do? Please help, I don't know if this is detrimental to my pc the longer they stay on here.
    THanks,Liz

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you look for a newer version of the file on your PC? Mine are as follows, and I'll be happy to send you the file. If you do this, however, you should only move the old one, put the "new" one in. All this with the programs closed, of course.

C:\windows\system: 908KB, 10/20/2001
    C:\windows\options\cabs: 481KB, 3/16/1999

You *should* be able to copy the one from your cabs and put it into your system folder. I'm not POSITIVE. Just make sure you remember everything you do so you can undo it if it doesn't work, don't permanently delete ANY files until you're confident that it's fixed.

Other problem (you should try this fix first): You may have some VB in your normal.dot (but I doubt it since you renamed it) or (more likely) in your Office Startup folder. Just look for a folder called Startup on your hard drive. You'll find several. It'll be the one under the Office folders, probably C:\program files\microsoft office\office\startup or similar. If there's any files in there--particularly docs, remove them from that folder and try launching Word again. See if that helps. Word must be closed when you do this too.

6. scootertiki

Well, THe first part of your post was a little confusing, so I removed any docs from the start up folder, and that seemed to have fixed the problem! Hopefully it permanetly fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Liz

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    The first part of my post: My only concern is if you do try to do anything with Macros, you may need that file. Depends on whether it was a VB error or VBA error. If VB, no problem, you'll probably never use the program, tho some do.

Anyway--it's fixed, right? Cool beans!

8. scootertiki

ok, my word program does not have any more error messages when i launch it, however, when i use my win fax pro, and attatch a word doc, it comes up with the same error messages and has trouble attatching a document, but word itself does not have a problem. what is going on with that?

thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice