1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2003 crashing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by marjatta, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marjatta

marjatta Thread Starter

Hi all,

My Microsoft Word 2003 program keeps closing down on its own with the following details:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WINWORD.EXE
    Application Version: 11.0.8328.0
    Application Timestamp: 4c717ed1
    Fault Module Name: WINWORD.EXE
    Fault Module Version: 11.0.8328.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4c717ed1
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00075469
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 4105

The only hardware change I had just before this started happening was a new power supply installed. I'm running Windows Vista on an Acer desktop.

In an attempt to resolve the problem, yesterday, I did a "system restore" to the date just prior to the power supply being installed and that seemed to solve the problem until I turned on my computer this morning.

I also use Word as my Outlook 2003 editor, and the other day, I may have opened an unsafe link from a friend. I'm running Avast anti-virus software and am doing a scan right now just in case something evil got into my computer.

I've also tried the Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition repair function, but nothing has changed.

Any suggestions from this wonderful group of gurus would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Marjatta

2. ZWard

ZWard

Did you run detect and repair?
    Did you try going through Control Panel->Programs and Features(Add or Remove Programs)-> Change/Remove on the program and then select repair?
    I do not think the power supply would have made that drastic of a change. Try running the MS Outlook PST Scan file.

Try This Fix (had the same issue and this worked for me)

1. Quit Microsoft Outlook if it's running.
    2. Double-click Scanpst.exe, located at drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\LocaleID folder - where LocaleID is the locale identifier (LCID) for the installation of Microsoft Office. The LCID for English - United States is 1033.
    3. In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, enter the name of the .pst or .ost file that you want to check, or click Browse to look for the file.
    4. To specify scan log options, click Options, and then click the option you want.
    5. Click Start.
    6. When the scanning is completed, and if errors were found, you will be prompted to start the repair process.
    To change the name or location of the backup file created during the repair process, in the Enter name of backup file box, enter a new name, or click Browse to look for the file.

1. Click Repair.
    2. Start Outlook using the profile that contains the .pst file that you tried to repair.
    3. On the Go menu, click Folder List.
    In the Folder List, you may see a Recovered Personal Folders folder containing default Outlook folders or a Lost and Found folder. The recovered folders are usually empty, because this is a rebuilt .pst file. The Lost and Found folder contains folders and items that the Inbox Repair tool recovered. Items that are missing from the Lost and Found folder cannot be repaired.

1. If you see a Recovered Personal Folders folder, you can create a new .pst file, and then drag the items in the Lost and Found folder into the new .pst file. When you have finished moving all items, you can remove the Recovered Personal Folders (.pst) file, including the Lost and Found folder, from your profile.

3. marjatta

marjatta Thread Starter

Thank you, ZWard! I forgot to come back and mark this issue as Resolved.

The quick workaround was to rename my Normal.dot template. Something had become corrupted in it.

But I still have an issue in Outlook, which I'll start another thread for.

Thanks again!

Marjattta

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice