1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WORD 2003: FORM FIELDS question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JFresh, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm working with form fields in Word 2003 and I was wondering if it were possible to create a form field with a line extending to the maximum length of characters allowed? For example:

Name:_________________________________

Where the underline is the form field. I know that MS shows them using tables to create a kind of pseudo line but I was hoping for something more...elegant? One that would be incorporated right with the form field.

Thanks for all your help!

JFresh

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

Try this KB article.

HTH

chris.

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

[bump]

I know that's not the answer you wanted. A form field doesn't display its maximum length unless the max length is less than the default displayed (like 2 or 3 characters). The tab stops with underlined leaders is probably the closest to what you're after, if you don't want to use tables (which, in my opinion, isn't only the most elegant way, it's the only way to make good forms).

chris.

4. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

Well it was worth a shot I suppose. It just seems like creating a form with a line going all the way across for the text seems like such a basic thing to throw in so I figured maybe there was some way to do it.

I'll be going with the tables then. Thanks for the input!

JFresh

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

Note, you don't have to use the table's Border Style to perform the underlining. You could create a table with no borders and use one of the methods linked in the KB article. However, the important part is: use tables to apportion areas of the document. It gives the document designer so much more control than manual formatting.

chris.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice