1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2003 printing sections

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JFresh, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

Is it possible to print particular sections of a document? Or a range of sections?

The document that I have is all considered one page and is divided into 39 sections. I would like to print particular sections. Using the page range in the Print window doesn't work since this is technically all one page.

Thanks for your help,

JFresh

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi JFresh,

If the sections are not adjacent I think you are stumped. (unless you copy to anther doc!)

To print a 'block' of text, highlight (select) the text in your doc that you want to print, then in Print \ Page Range select the Selection button.

lol
    Hew

3. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Ok,

That's what I thought I just wanted to make sure before going ahead with anything else.

Thank you for your insight in this.

Jason

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Excuse me?
    To print a section in Word, put s1 (for section 1) in the Print What box.

I'll be back with more info in a little bit, but wanted to catch you...

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  6. Surreal2

Surreal2

It certainly did for me :) . And there was me thinking I knew a fair bit about Word. Whenever I've need to print sections I've done the select/print selection thing. Ta for the edukashun.

7. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Thank you all for your assistance. It worked! Now this thread is truly solved =).

JFresh (y)

8. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Anne,

That was a great tip.

But I must be doing it wrong, on the machine I'm using at the mo it has Word 2000:-

In the Print What Box I cannot enter text direct (such as "S1"), I can only choose from the drop-down selections (Document, Document Properties,Comments...).

No quilt for me then!!

Thanks
    Hew

9. XL Guru

XL Guru

*I doubt that, Hew. I can't type in the box in Word 2K either, so it's probably a version thing.

10. Surreal2

Surreal2

Hi HEWANM and XL Guru...you don't type in the Print What box but in the Page Range section above it...highlight 'Pages' then type in page number/ranges or s1 etc.

11. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi Surreal2,

Still not working!

Tried a few things and this is what I am concluding so far:-

If I put a section no in the Page Range \ Pages box then I get no print at all unless that section is at the top of a page.
    If the section no is at the top of the page, then I get the whole page with all the sections on it.

Anne's Office Article definetly states to put the section nos in the Print What,
    hey Anne we need you!

thanks
    Hew

12. Surreal2

Surreal2

Only works if you insert section break 'next page', doesn't work if you insert section break 'continuous'

Yeah...like XL I think Anne must be referring to later version...I use 2000.

13. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi Surreal2,

yep, section break NEXT PAGE fits as what you get is that whole page.

Needs more investigation: see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211636/EN-US/ which indicates that printing sections is possible in W2000!

Thanks
    Hew

Updated: I still can only get it to print the whole page that a section starts on.
    e.g I created a doc with multiple continuos breaks and 1 page break which was section 5.
    Specifying print s2, s5 printed sections 1 to 4 because they were all on the 1st page.

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    That's correct, and my most profuse apologies!! I am fixing that article right now!

15. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hey Anne,

No need for the profuse apologies - you're my hero.

Did you look at the MS article hyperlink.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin, ah well.

BR
    Hew

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice