1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2003 Read Only Problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Diverman, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diverman

Diverman Thread Starter

Here's the problem, my users open a Word 2003 document and make changes. They save the document and continue to edit. When they try to save again the file claims it is read only. Closing the document and reopening it it still claims it is read only. The only fix we have found that works is uninstalling Office and reinstalling. Anyone have an idea why the document suddenly becomes read only. The user isn't setting it as read only. This has happened to 4 users in two days. Thanks.

Brian

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. Is there a second user in the file? Have you tried wiping out the normal.dot and seeing if you still have issues?

3. Diverman

Diverman Thread Starter

There definitely isn't a second user with the file open. The file is in the user's home folder where only they have access to it. I'll try deleting the normal.dot to see how that affects the problem.

Brian

4. Diverman

Diverman Thread Starter

OK gang, this will surprise you. The problem was actually with the drive mapping and offline files cache. I had moved my file server to a new machine a couple weeks ago and disabled offline files when I brought the shares up on the new server. I disconnected the drive mapping to the file server and rebooted the user's computer. The drive is automatically remapped when the user logs in and the read only problem disappeared. I saved the problem files 10-12 times and never had it become read only. Before the file would become read only after the first save. Thanks for your help jimr381.

Brian

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Not a Problem. Could you please mark the thread as solved via the "thread tools" drop-down list at the top of the post? If you have any other questions then feel free to post them as well.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice