1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2007: Creating a template this way: Help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jhsurti, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhsurti

jhsurti Thread Starter

Hi

I need to create a template in Word 2007 which will enable me to subsequently print out letters to the members of my association. If it was for only the headers and footers, it would have been fine. But what I need is :

1. A header with the name of the association, its president and secretary

2. A footer with the address for correspondence

3. A side bar on the left side listing all the members of the executive committee.

This last one is difficult to incorporate. I wanted something like a header/footer in the left margin so that when I open a new document based on this template, the cursor should not even for moment go into that side bar of the members' list.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Are you able to post a sample document that it already in the format that you want? Are you going to be manually entering the association information or are you trying to automate the entire process by pulling values from a spreadsheet or database?

Regards,
    Rollin

3. Plantsman

Plantsman

You could create a text box while in Header/Footer mode with the list of members. After you create it, right click on it and choose Format Text box click on the Layout tab or maybe that should be Text Wrap and choose Tight. This will ensure the text flows around the list when typing in the actual document. Sorry I'm using Office 2003 but the basics should be the same. Hope this info helps.

4. jhsurti

jhsurti Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This is what I have in mind. The details are just meaningless for the sample. As you can see, there is a header, a footer and a margin on left with supposed names of the members. The only area where we will be typing is the blank area you see without ant characters on it. The cursor should not go into the margin. Like when you create a header/footer, once created , you normally don't find your cursor going into that area unless you decide to edit those areas. I want similar thing for the margin-block as well. Can we do it? I tried the method you people suggested but doesn't work.

Thanks.

5. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

This is a specialized letterhead. There are many templates for that purpose. Did you try going to the Microsoft Word Web site and exploring?

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Will this document be emailed to others or just printed out? If you are only going to be printing the document you may want to consider inserting two tables into your document. The first table could be inserted along the left side of the document after changing the left hand margin and would consist of 1 column and as many rows as you want. The second table would make up the main section and would consist of only 1 row and 1 column. If you set the table borders to be transparent you will not see them when the document is printed. See attached example and note that the gridlines will not show when the document is printed.

Regards,
    Rollin

Attached Files:

7. Plantsman

Plantsman

What's not to work jhsurti? Here's the template as you displayed it in post 4.

Attached Files:

8. jhsurti

jhsurti Thread Starter

Thanks all for the responses. I find that what Plantsman has done is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks a lot. I probably could not follow your instructions earlier exactly. Thanks a lot once again for the guidance.

9. Plantsman

Plantsman

Glad it worked OK for you.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

jhsurti, since this seems to be resolved (nice job, Plantsman!), please use the button at the top of the page to mark this thread as Solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice