1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2007 does not open earlier Word Docs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by PeterPrinter, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PeterPrinter

PeterPrinter Thread Starter

I have installed MS Office Home and Student 2007 on my Dell Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home Premium. Previously I used MS Works that came pre-installed any e-mail with a Word attachment just opened when I clicked it.
    Now when I get e-mails with any Word attachments I am unable to open the attachments without first saving them to the desk top, then opening Word 2007, then opening the document from the Word 2007 menu.
    Similarly with all my old documents I have to go through the same long winded procedure to open them
    Is there a simple way to cure this??. I'm not a tech whizz but if the cure is simple I can give it a go

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

What program or Web service are you using for e-mail?

3. PeterPrinter

Windows Mail

4. BillSnapWire

BillSnapWire

Have you tried any Office compatability packs?

5. PeterPrinter

I've tried downloading Compatability packs but still can't open word attachments on e-mails or my old word docs without first saving them and then opening word 2007 and using the open option from that.

6. BillSnapWire

BillSnapWire

What email provider do you use?
    Have you tried logging into your email address via your provider and trying to open the attachments from there?

7. PeterPrinter

My provider is fslife which is now orange. Tried what you suggested but same thing happens. I get dialogue box "Do you want to open or save this file". I click open and then another dialogue box opens "A Web site wants to open web content using this program on your computer", I click allow and nothing happens. There is a third dialogue box open during this which reads "0% of Download _READ.html from email 10.orange" but this is in the background and also vanishes,

8. hulkinator

hulkinator

9. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

Have you checked to see if Word .doc files (these are Word document files prior to Office 2007) are associated with Office Word 2007?

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate a File Type or Protocol and see if .doc files are set to be opened by Word. If not, set .doc files to be opened by Microsoft Office Word.

You can also change your MS Works document files (.wps) to open with Word 2007 using the same procedure.

10. PeterPrinter

Thanks lagunasrfr that would seem to be a good solution if only I could do it. Got as far as Associate a File Type or Protocal and currently .doc files are associated with Word Convertor. So went to make change and it came up with Recommended Programs of Internet Explorer, Notepad, Word Convertor or Word Pad. Looked further down but there was no MS Word to be found. Any idea how I can create one or find one.
    I'm a bit outside my comfort zone but finding this fascinating

11. hulkinator

hulkinator

This isn't at all to down lagunasrfr but in the few threads I read while investigating this issue said that changing the file association didn't help. However it's worth a try and it's a good learning experience.

You should have an option in that program selection dialog box to Browse... or Other... or something. Click that, and you will be presented with a dialog box with your computer's files. Open the drop-down box at the top and select C: if this is what Windows is installed in. Then open the Program Files (or Program Files (x86) folder if you have it), open Microsoft Office, then Office xy (where xy is a number like 10, 11, 12), and find the file WINWORD[.exe]. Open this- it is the Word executable file.

This should restore your file association.

12. PeterPrinter

Thanks hulkinator - got as far as WINWORD and found the File Name C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE then I clicked open and it went back to that first dialogue box with the same Recomended Programes as previously. I've obviously not done something I should have but have no idea what that is.

13. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

Hopefully hulkinator and I are on the right track for you. When you finally selected and double-clicked on WINWORD.EXE in the Program FIles\Microsoft Office\Office 12 folder, there should be a check box in the lower-left of the "Open With" pane that you will check to "Always open file with this program." Check the box and then click the "OK" tab. This should cause any clicked-on .doc file to be opened with Office Word.

14. PeterPrinter

I'm sure you are on the right track but I just can't get this to work. When I double click or single click on the open tab nothing happens other than I return to the "Open With" box which just has the four recommended programs highlighted. The WINWORD.EXE has just gone.
    I just don't seem to be able to get the WINWORD.EXE into the Open With Box. Thanks for your patience

15. hulkinator

hulkinator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!