1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2007 not hiding .tmp files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by :z:, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. :z:

:z: Thread Starter

Word 2007 is not hiding .tmp files for documents on Vista 32-bit. They clear out when I close Word, but it would be nice to have them hidden like they were in Windows XP.

In my folder options:
    "Do not show hidden files and folders" is checked.
    "Hide protected operating system files" is checked.

Thanks!

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

3. :z:

slurpee55:

Thanks for the input, but her problem was solved by using the "Hide protected operating system files" checkbox. In my case, both system and hidden files are checked to hide files but they are still showing up.

Anyone else have any ideas?

4. :z:

Update:

After reading about people having this problem when they had files on the desktop, I tried moving the files from my USB drive to a folder on my hard drive. Sure enough, Word keeps the files hidden on the hard drive (except the desktop). It appears to ignore the hide rule whenever the files are on the USB drive or the desktop, though. Since it hides files as it should in other directories, I'm going to assume that this is just a bug in Word 2007 that I can't do anything about and hopefully Microsoft will eventually release a fix for it.

5. :z:

Update #2:

This problem appears to only be an issue when running Word 2007 in Compatibility Mode. If saving in the native .docx extension I do not see .tmp files on either the USB drive or desktop. I was originally running in Compatibility Mode because I thought my older version of Word on my other computer wouldn't be able to open the .docx extension, but it opens them just fine so there's no need to use that anymore. Therefore, this issue is resolved for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLUTION SUMMARY:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those using Compatibility Mode (97-2003 .doc), perhaps Microsoft will still fix this bug.

Otherwise, to fix the problem, save your documents in the native .docx format.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice