1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2007 - Page Number Issues Updating Table of Contents and Table of Figure

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ComputerTeacher, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ComputerTeacher

ComputerTeacher Thread Starter

A previous thread indicated problems encountered when trying to update a Table of Contents and Table of Figures, etc. using Word 2007. I couldn't find any solutions to that message. I am having the same problem. I tell it to update the Table of Contents or Table of Figures, and it does that correctly, but as soon as I click "print" the page numbers all change to 2! Any ideas?

2. Stacers

Stacers

I've had this problem before and it was because I was opening up the Word document in Reading Layout from an e-mail. To get around that, I disable the Reading Layout view. If you go to the office button, then click 'Word Options', in the 'Popular' section there's a checkbox you can uncheck that says 'Open e-mail attachments in Full Screen Reading view'.

I know it's a bug in the 2003 version, and I still seem to experience it in 2007... as far as I know, this is the best way to get around it. And if you're worried about other people opening your document from an e-mail and the Table of Contents being screwy, you might consider sending it in PDF format.

Hope that helps!

3. ComputerTeacher

Stacers, thank you so much for the response and information! Unfortunately, this document is not one being pulled from e-mail. It is one that was supplied with a data cd for a textbook I teach from. The students pull up a file of text, they are to mark the entries to include in the table of contents, then add a table of contents, then make some changes, then update the table of contents. There is also a similar assignment with a table of figures that has the same issue. The assignment works fine until they update. It updates correctly, but as soon as they print all the page numbers change to 2! The file they pull up seems to just be text with pictures. However, I will look closer at the codes in it. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Any other thoughts would be great since it does not involve opening from an e-mail. I appreciate your time and expertise!

4. Stacers

Stacers

Are they opening it in Reading Layout? It doesn't have to be from an e-mail (just Outlook is set to open Word documents in Reading Layout by default, so it happens there all the time). I'd suggest turning off that layout and saving the file to the hard drive before opening it and updating the Table of Contents. I just searched online for more solutions and everywhere I look says the same thing: reading layout's the problem. I hope it works out for you, that's a really annoying problem to have, eh?

5. ComputerTeacher

I checked, and they are not opening the documents in Reading Layout. They are opening in Print Layout. So, I am still stumped. I even tried creating a new document from scratch instead of using the file from the textbook publisher, and it had the same problem updating. I created and did everything in Print Layout. You've given me some ideas, and I have a few more things I'll try. You are right, it is very annoying!!!! Thank you so much for your research and feedback. I really appreciate your time. I will continue playing with various options that might connect back to Reading Layout and hopefully something will work. If it does, I'll be sure to post it! Thanks again!

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    First, welcome to the forum. Where do you teach computer apps at? I teach computer apps and do support as well.

Did you create the practice files for the lessons from your PC? Can you zip and post one of the files so that I may take a look at it? Try going into the Print dialog box via "CTRL+P." Within the Print Dialog box click on the options in one of the bottom corners and check off the checkbox that states "Update Field Codes."

7. ComputerTeacher

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I tried going to the print dialog box, clicking the Options button, and clicking "Update Fields Before Printing" so it had a checkmark. It makes the students tell it to update an additional time, but when they print, the correct page numbers are there! I only tried it one time, and will certainly have my students test it out, but it appears to have solved the problem! :) We'll make sure and change our Print Options each time we update something and hopefully it will work! Thank you for the suggestion! By the way, I teach at a Utah College of Applied Technology campus. I have secondary and adult students. I really appreciate your time and assistance! I've never really participated in a forum like this even though I've been aware of them. Both you and Stacers have been very helpful. This has been a positive experience for me. Thanks again to you both!

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Not a problem. If you have further questions, then feel free to post them. Please mark the thread as solved via the "Mark Solved" button at the top of the post.

9. ComputerTeacher

I appreciate the reminder to mark the post "solved." I was going to have my students try it with several different files to see how it went before marking it solved--just in case there is some other glitch that comes up as we work through it. I hope that is ok! I tried it on my computer with two files and it seemed to work. But, as I'm sure you know, once students start doing things, it is a totally different ballgame!:) I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again.

10. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds good to me.

11. ComputerTeacher

We've tried several files, and as long as we update when we print as suggested, it seems to work. Thank you so much for the help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice