1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word 2010 not printing text inside text box

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jonow, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonow

jonow Thread Starter

I have created a document in MS Word 2010 that has a textbox with a background color. When I print the document to my printer (have tried multiple printers) or print to PDF, the textbox prints but the text itself does not print. (see attached image)

Upon further investigation of the PDF, I found that the text is actually layered below the textbox. For some reason, Word is printing the textbox on top of the text itself.

When I take the textbox, copy it to a new document, and try to print, it prints correctly.

I have also checked my printing preferences and I believe all the settings are correct.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The problem is there is a RED back ground and no White ink.
    You need to remove the red background behind the white letters.

3. jonow

jonow Thread Starter

If that were the case, then why is the text layered under the textbox in the PDF?

And the printer doesn't need "white ink," it is just supposed to not print anything there. The same way it doesn't print anything where there is a white border.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    A border is the boundary of an area and the background go up to the border and not behind it.

What program are using to make this PDF file?

5. jonow

jonow Thread Starter

I am printing to PDF through Acrobat Pro. As I said, if I put it into a second document it prints fine though.

6. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

In Publisher, you can send an object or text box to the back or bring it on top. I've never tried it in Word, but perhaps there's a way to do that. Look for instructions on watermarks.

7. jonow

jonow Thread Starter

There is layering in Word, however the text and textbox are a single object so you cannot change the layering of the two.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What are you doing differently in the second document?

How are you making this second document?

9. jonow

jonow Thread Starter

In the second document, I just copied the textbox and its surrounding text and pasted it into a new document while preserving styles.

In the first document, the textbox and its surrounding text are in a column. That is the only real direct difference, I believe.

10. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Try selecting the text and un group, then set the layer so that the white text is 'on top'

11. jonow

jonow Thread Starter

The text and text box are not grouped together. They are considered a single object and thus cannot be ungrouped.

Since posting this, I have found a workaround for my document. I created a textbox separate from the oval background, grouped them while keeping the text on top.

However, this is still a bug in MS Word.

12. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Probably true, MS has quite a lot of bugs and some are really a P in the A :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice